Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file.

Discussion in 'Software' started by sairammohan, May 10, 2008.

1. sairammohan

sairammohan Private E-2

Hi,

When trying to access an exe file, getting the following:

Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.

I am an Administrator on my laptop. I have installed QTP and many other Exes (MSN MSGR, Yahoo Msgr etc)

I have cheched in Windows Components in Add Remove Programs to check the IE Enhanced Security, but there was no option to turn off.

Please let me know if you need more details. Advanced Thanks for your help.

Thanks,
    Sai

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Welcome to MajorGeeks. This may sound a bit lame, and I'm not trying to imply anything, but have you tried to simply restart the PC? It's amazing what a quick reboot can do. Just tonight I was suddenly having a weird issue where when I opened a folder, the way the contents of the folder were organized and displayed just changed out of the blue for no reason, and in My Computer, the icons for my CD and DVD drives had changed to the standard Windows 'unknown item' generic box icon instead of the little pictures of CDs. I rebooted and all is back to normal.

Last edited: May 10, 2008
  3. sairammohan

sairammohan Private E-2

Hi DLB,

Thank you for your reply; I have restarted the machine and the same issue exists. :(

4. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

I have seen this a few times and its always something different. Try copying the exe file directly under your C drive (C:/filename.exe) and see if you can run it from there. Also remove any strange symbols that may be in the name of the file and shorten its name if its real long (since your copying it to C change its name to X.exe what the heck its only a copy and worth a try). Sometimes if a file is in a folder in a folder thats inside a folder of a folder well you get the idea.

5. sairammohan

sairammohan Private E-2

Hi Appzalien,

Thank you for your reply.

Got the solution.

In General Tab, at the end, Security: This fiel came from Another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer with an Unblock button; just Unblock and then it will work.

Thank you once again.

-Sai

We can close this thread.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds