Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file

Discussion in 'Software' started by sail323, Dec 28, 2009.

1. sail323

sail323 Private E-2

I get this message whenever I try to run the file "MySQLInstanceConfig.exe" in MySQL Server 5.1

I have Administrator rights. I have tried running it in safe mode. Reinstalling the program. Scanning the file, folder for viruses. Taking ownership of the file and folder. Nothing has worked.

I install MySQL Server 5.1 through the MediaPortal installation program and get the message "MYSQL - start service exception - Failed to install application [MySQL 5.1]"

I have also tried installing Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express from the MediaPortal installation program, but that fails to install as well.

I don't know what to try next. Can anyone help?

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, sail323...

Don't know what OS you're using, but some of my IT guys have had to unblock MySQL.exes in Windows 2003 - check the file properties, see if there's a security block on the .exe...

You might also want to start a thread on this subject in the Programming forum - there may be some SQL people over there...

3. sail323

sail323 Private E-2

Thanks for the reply. I'm running Windows XP Pro. I checked the file properties for all of the EXEs in the directory tree and made sure that Administrators and System had full control, but I still get the same message.

However, I just discovered the my WMI is not functioning properly (I can't run System Information). I checked to make sure that the service starts and deleted the files in the \system32\wbem\repository then rebooted, but I still get the WMI error message when running System Information.

I suspect this problem is related to the MySQL server not starting properly.

4. sail323

sail323 Private E-2

MySQL Server 5.1 not starting

I get the message "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file." whenever I try to run the file "MySQLInstanceConfig.exe" in MySQL Server 5.1

I am running Windows XP Pro, SP3

I have also tried installing Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express and that fails to run as well.

I have Administrator rights. I have tried running it in safe mode. Reinstalling the program. Scanning the file, folder for viruses. Taking ownership of the file and folder. I checked the file properties for all of the EXEs in the directory tree and made sure that Administrators and System had full control, but I still get the same message.

However, I just discovered the my WMI is not functioning properly (I can't run System Information). I checked to make sure that the service starts and deleted the files in the \system32\wbem\repository then rebooted, but I still get the WMI error message when running System Information.

I suspect this problem may be related to the MySQL server not starting properly. Any ideas?

5. sail323

sail323 Private E-2

The problem ended being a WMI issue. The service wouldn't start. I noticed this when I tried to run System Information. After spending a few hours trying to fix it, I reinstalled XP using the Repair option and that solved the WMI problem. However, I still was having a problem starting an SQL 5.1 service, so I switched to MS SQL 2005 server and now everything works.

6. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Good job, sail - thx for the feedback...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds