Windows Cannot Access The Specified Device, Path or File.......

Discussion in 'Software' started by Evenstephen1965, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Evenstephen1965

Evenstephen1965 Private E-2

Hello there. I am new to this forum and I'm hoping you can help me with a frustrating problem. :-o

I was using my laptop tonight when my a file called av.exe tried to access my system files. Once I realised it wasn't a helpful file I tried to block it but a program started to install. It looks like a antivirus program but apparently the viruses are bogus.

In trying to block the program I now cannot use Windows Restore, Internet Explorer, CCleaner, Comodo Firewall, AVG Antivirus, Regedit, The Security Centre or the Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel. When I try to I get a message which says 'Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item'.

I tried to stop access to the explorer.exe directory and now I can't do much at all. Can anyone help me? I cannot access the internet on the laptop.

I have Windows XP Home, 1gb of RAM. If anyone can help I would be most grateful.

2. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

Welcome to MG!!
    If you google av.exe you can find removal instructions but I recommend you go to the malware removal section of MG and follow the instructions there.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

It's described as a rather nasty bug. You'll need to copy the programs and run from there, best a USB stick.

But first see if you can download these in safe mode with networking. I find that works most of the time.

Good Luck!:wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds