Windows cannot find 'boot.exe'

Discussion in 'Software' started by maramures, Sep 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maramures

maramures Private E-2

Hello. I have a problem with my OS winxp sp1. I had a virus, i cleaned him but i had errors when i was accesing drive letter d: or e: (i have 3 partitions), but not with c: drive (os partition).
    The error was : Windows cannot find 'Boot.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again.
    Since i couldnt fix that message (and accesing drive without Windows Explorer), i reinstalled Windows. And i find a surprise, i still cannot access drive letters d: and e: without right-click -> Explore.
    I scanned My Computer with Spybot S&D and Ad-ware and didnt find any ad/spy-ware.
    What can i do? Do you guys have a solution for this? :confused

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

What happens when you double-click drives d: and e: Do you still get the same error message?

See the thread below from the Malware forum and see if helps. Be sure to read the whole thread and assuming you don't have any other malware issues, Chaslang's solution in post #8 might work for you.

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=130959

Steve

3. maramures

maramures Private E-2

If i double-click the drives d: and e: I get that error
    Can't find autorun.inf or boot.exe on drives.
    Maybe the virus I had did some modification on the integrity of the drives? Can i check that somehow?

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

The drive manufacturer's website will usually have diagnostic software you can use. Try that.

When you search for AUTORUN.INF make sure that "show hidden files and folders" is checked. May not make a difference, just trying to cover all the bases.

Steve

5. maramures

maramures Private E-2

I searched again and didn't find any autorun.inf and boot.exe.
    I noticed that my other pc with win98 installed give me same error when i'm trying to open with double-click any of the drive (even the drive where OS is installed). I searched autorun.inf and boot.exe on that pc too and still couldn't find.
    Diagnostic tool from Western Digital didn't find any error on any of my drives. This could be a malware problem ?
    Thing is .. before installing again the OS, i had the error. After installing (i was sure i'll not receive that error) i still got same error.

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Try the steps below, then search for autorun.inf again.

Right Click Start.
    Select Explore
    Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
    Select the View Tab.
    Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders.
    Uncheck the Hide extensions for known file types option.
    Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
    Click Apply.
    Click OK.

Steve

7. maramures

maramures Private E-2

Did that 1 minute before you post the thread and I find autorun.inf and I did find on both drives where I got the error
    Now the autorun.inf in both drives looks like this:

[Autorun]
    shell=Open

And i don't receive the error no more. Thanks alot for your help !

8. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

OK, good. That's my fault. I should have looked and posted the complete "hidden files" procedure.

Glad you got it. :)

Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds