Windows cannot load driver?

Discussion in 'Software' started by arayex, Feb 20, 2009.

1. arayex

arayex Private E-2

In the device manager there is a Symantec Network Adapter that isnt functioning because "windows cannot load the drivers for this device" . I have been ALL over the web trying to find this device but cannot find anything even remotley close. Its an onboard device from an Intel motherboard, dont know if that makes a difference or not. I also have been trying to connect this pc to the internet and it will not connect to the server. I installed a wireless adapter, which says its connecting to the router and the internet, but it will not display any page though firefox or IE. I made sure the HTTP HTTPS and FTP ports were open.. all the IPs Gateways and all line up fine and even ping fine in the command prompt. Net View in the comand prompt runs fine too.

Is this from that adapter not working?? I cant figure it out at all. Any help would be greatful. Btw, this is a friends pc I am working on, so i dont have much history accept she opened a spam mail and could no longer connect to the net though any programs. I ran a virus scan and nothing came back. cleaned the registry with CCleaner, ran spyware detector and nothing came back the usual stuff. Any ideas?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

If its a Symantec Network Driver that is missing then best option as its likely that that PC has Norton Antivirus or Security Suite installed to re-install Norton again as that driver is likely part of its firewall defence.

but Uninstall Norton first and run this removal tool,then run CCleaner to remove any old temps and junk, then try the internet again, if it works then great if not do let us know and also let us know what the model of PC is if a DELL, HP etc or if a custom build let us know the Motherboard make and version.

Then install Norton again and make sure the network is allowed throught he firewall.

Other thought if the spam email has added some sneeky malware to this PC it to run this guide and post a new thread in malware forum to have the guys in their check this PC out for malware.

3. arayex

arayex Private E-2

Well, heres what Ive found so far on here, there is no Norton installed anywhere at all on here. This is an eMachine T1090, with everything still stock. Its got an Intel 810 chipset... I got ahold of emachine support (useless) and they say they no longer do any kind of support for the Legacy systems. I thought maybe I should update ALL the drivers in this machine since they are from 2001 LOL, (she isnt too keen on these things) .. Intel has the chipset downloads for this, but nothing at all related to the network card, only sound and graphics. Was worth a try at least.

Question though, is this the reason the internet will not connect to the server? Even with a wireless network card installed?

Also, I already used CCleaner so all that other junk in her pc is gone. Otherwise the pc is just fine accept for a lot of outdated drivers which Ill do once Im back on the web with it.

4. DavidGP

Hi

If a network driver is listing for Symantec then Norton or a Symantec application has been on that PC at some point, the likelyhood is that this netowrk driver could be conflicting with the main motherboards network driver and blocking access to the internet, so do run the Norton Removal Tool and then CCleaners registry cleaner until no missing keys are found.

Also in Dev Mgr are their any items with Yellow ! marks on them if so what.

If spam was opened and its payload allowed to install then the link to Malware removals is your other option.

5. arayex

arayex Private E-2

The device manager only has that network card with the yellow exclamation mark. everything else is fine. im going to try what you said.. oh yeah, there is a symantec program on the pc, but so far all i can find is for the live updates. thats all thats listed in the control panel and the add/remove programs. ill post my results after i follow your instruction.

thanks a lot for helping me out. i really appreciate it.

6. Captain Drift

Captain Drift Corporal

CPU: Intel® Celeron® Processor 900MHz (w/128KB)
    Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

Chipset: Intel® 810 chipset, 100MHz FSB

Memory: 128MB SDRAM
    Hard Drive: 20GB HDD
    Optical Drives: 48x Max. CD-ROM Drive; 3.5" 1.44MB FDD

Video: Intel® DirectAGP 3D (810 shared)

Sound: Intel® 82801 AC '97 Audio

Modem: 56K ITU v.90 internal Fax/Modem

Peripherals: Keyboard, Mouse, Stereo Speakers
    Ports/Other: 2 USB ports (1 on front bezel), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 1 Midi/Game, 2 PS/2, Audio In & Out, Microphone In

This is the spec from the e-machine website (USA)
    Do you know what mother board it has?

7. arayex

arayex Private E-2

I actually got this problem fixed with the Norton removal tool. IE wont display, but Firefox will and shes happy with that. I know its not a complete fix, but she was anxious to get her pc back. Thanks again!

8. DavidGP

Hi

Cheers for update and at least your now back on the internet with that PC and happy friend is good.

But when your at that PC again, use CCleaner to clear out temps etc, then just try this with IE, open IE and click Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab > click Reset at the bottom (make sure no other IE windows and only one tab is open when didin this)

9. arayex

arayex Private E-2

Thanks .. I will try it or email this to her so she can give it a try and see what happens. Thanks again.. that one really stumped me. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds