Windows CD Booting Issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by fishfool59, Feb 9, 2006.

1. fishfool59

fishfool59 Private E-2

I bought a new copy of Windows XP Home (I actually spent $199.99), so I bring it home open it up and pop the CD in. I start up the computer (old windows, then linux machine) press any key to boot to the CD and get a black screen. There is a signal going to the moniter but there is just a black screen. I have never seen this before, any ideas?

2. MrsHamill

MrsHamill Private E-2

You need to make sure that you can boot to the CD/ROM. Usually, that's a BIOS setting, so when the computer boots, press DEL (or whatever key to get you into Setup) and check the boot priority. Make sure that it's got the CD in the list and make it first.

You might also see a key to press for 'boot priority' while the computer is booting. If you do, press that and choose to boot from the CD.

Hope that helps.

3. fishfool59

fishfool59 Private E-2

First thing I checked, still no workie.

4. MrsHamill

MrsHamill Private E-2

Then that didn't help. Sorry.

Do you have a floppy drive? It's a reach but you *can* load XP Home with floppies. I've done it when I can't get the stupid CD/ROM to boot the disk properly, for whatever reason. Go to Microsnot's support (support.microsoft.com) and search on 'load xp home from floppies' and it'll give you a file that will create the files you need, across six floppies. You'll still need the CD; all this does is bring you to the 'loading windows' screen, then it will ask you to pop the CD in.

Have you checked your BIOS settings completely? Tried resetting them to default? It's odd that the CD will start the load process but not continue it.

5. fishfool59

fishfool59 Private E-2

ugggg, I have done 2000 from disks, to bad I dont have any right now :( I reset the BIOS defaults and it worked great. Funny thing is that I downloaded an ISO off the web and it booted great, other than it being in Chineese it was great, now when I go buy it, it won't work.

6. fishfool59

fishfool59 Private E-2

lmfao, I plugged in an old 20gb HD I had unplugged because it was giving linux trouble (I was using a 250gb HD alone), I plugged it back in and poof, windows boot screen comes up. :confused: Only with Windows :eek:

7. MrsHamill

MrsHamill Private E-2

Ain't that the truth! If it sounds ridiculous, it'll probably work!

Glad you got it to go, good on you!

8. fishfool59

fishfool59 Private E-2

Now I just have to format the 250gb :rolleyes:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds