Windows Crashing

Discussion in 'Software' started by mark59, Jun 29, 2012.

1. mark59

mark59 MajorGeek

Sometimes when using my laptop PC (Acer Aspire 5920) Windows (Vista HP SP2) freezes. I cannot link the freezing to any particular programme or task that I'm doing.

Previously, I was receiving a message to say that Windows Explorer had stopped working. Each time this happened I was given the choice of restarting Windows Explorer. On each occasion I opted for that choice and it restarted.

I worked through Microsoft's advice on this: I checked for malware but found none; I checked the hard disk for errors but, again, found none. I decided to uninstall some programmes and if I had problems after uninstalling them I would re-install them. The programmes that I uninstalled were Flash Player, Shockwave, and Adobe Air. I also uninstalled all Apple software because I never use it with the exclusion of QuickTime. I did get rid of iCloud, Bonjour, Safari, and iTunes and anything else with Apple in its name such as Apple Mobile Device. After doing this I no longer received the error message that Windows Explorer had stopped working.

Subsequently, a number of website's I've visited said they needed Flash Player so I downloaded it and re-installed it.

In the last week or so I've now been receiving another error message. I attach it as a jpeg file. Just before the message comes up Windows freezes and I cannot do anything. When the message comes up I click on End Process and then everything starts working again. I also note that on some occasions when this happens something else does too. Now, I will struggle to describe this because I don't know the terms. But when you have an application open on the computer, e.g. your web browser there's something at the bottom of the screen to say its open. If you minimise the Window the thing at the bottom of the screen remains there and if you click on it that Window maximises. Sometimes, when I receive the error message one of these things opens to show that Flash Player is open but it is not. You can usually right click on these things and select from a number of options. However, if I left or right click on this one for Flash Player I cannot do anything. When I choose End Process in the error message the Flash Player thing stays there. The only way I can get rid of it is to do Ctrl+Alt+Del and choose Start Task Manager then choose Processes and find Flash Player and choose End Process.

What might be causing my problem? How might I go about solving it?

Attached Files:

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds