Windows Defender And Windows Update Not Working (among Other Things)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dietcheese, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Dietcheese

Dietcheese Private E-2

Hi,

I would appreciate some help. I've tried almost everything I can think of.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit) on a Dell Studio XPS 435T.

First, the Windows Defender service will not start. I get the error:

Windows could not start the Windows Defender service on Local Computer. Error 0x8e5e0247

The Windows Update service is running in Services.msc, but when I try to check for updates at: Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Update, I get the error:

Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer.

(of course restarting does nothing)​

I have read that these errors might be due to malware/trojan/rootkit, so I have followed the instructions for generating those logs (attached).

I have also read that it could be due to the Intel Rapid Storage technology driver. I first attempted to download the Intel Driver Update Utility but got this nondescript error in a pop-up window upon installation:

0xc8000247 - unspecified error

I then attempted to directly download the driver from Intel, but got this error upon installation:

The contents of this file cannot be unpacked. The executable you are attempting to run has been corrupted. Please obtain another copy of the file, verify its integrity, and try again.
    I did attempt to download it several times, and from other locations, but still had the same errors upon installation.

I've run a sfc scan which told me some files were corrupt but could not be repaired (CBS.log attached). A scandsk was clean. Malwarebytes was clean.

At this point I'm running out of ideas, and would really appreciate some assistance.

Thanks,
    DC

Attached Files:

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I am not finding any malware in your logs. Let's try this before I send you to software:

Download Windows Repair by Tweaking.com and unzip the contents into a newly created folder on your desktop.
    • Now run Repair_Windows.exe by double clicking on it ( if you are running Vista or Win 7, use right click and select Run As Administrator)
    • Now select the Start Repairs tab.
    • The click the Start button.
    • Create a System Restore point if prompted.
    • On the next screen, click the Unselect All button to first deselect all repairs.
    • Now select the following repair options:
      • Reset Registry Permissions
      • Reset File Permissions
      • Register System Files
      • Repair WMI
      • Repair Windows Firewall
      • Remove Policies Set By Infections
      • Repair Winsock & DNS Cache
      • Repair Proxy Settings
      • Repair Windows Updates
      • Set Windows Services To Default Startup
    • Now on the lower right side check the box to Restart/Shutdown System When Finished
    • Then make sure the Restart System radio button is enabled.
    • Shutdown any other programs that you are running now before continuing.
    • Now click the Start button.
    • Be patient while the tool repairs the selected items.
    • It should reboot automatically when finished.

3. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

@Tim, Windows Repair has changed. Here is the new procedure you should add to your boiler plates. ;)

Download Windows Repair by Tweaking.com and unzip the contents into a newly created folder on your desktop.
    • Now run Repair_Windows.exe by double clicking on it ( if you are running Vista or Win 7, use right click and select Run As Administrator)
    • Now select the + Repairs tab.
    • Then click the + Open Repairs button down on the bottom right.
    • This will automatically begin a registry backup, so wait for it to complete and when it finishes, you will see a list of many possible different repairs and they are all selected by default. At the bottom of this form there is a not so obvious Unselect All Repairs check box which is to the right of a check box with a green check mark in it. Please click the Unselect All Repairs box. The green check mark box is to Select All Repairs. The ony way you see what these boxes are is when your mouse hovers over them.
    • Now select the following repair options ( the numbers at the begin are the current repair numbers but this is subject to change.)
      • 01 - Reset Registry Permissions
      • 02 - Reset File Permissions
      • 03 - Reset Service Permissions
      • 04 - Register System Files
      • 05 - Repair WMI
      • 06 - Repair Windows Firewall
      • 10 - Remove Policies Set By Infections
      • 13 - Network
      • 14 - Repair Proxy Settings
      • 15 - Repair Windows Updates
      • 21 - Repair MSI (Windows Installer)
      • 23 - Repair File Associations (12 )
      • 26 - Restore Important Windows Services
      • 27 - Set Windows Services To Default Startup
    • Now on the right side under the When Repairs Complete title, check the box for Restart/Shutdown System and then make sure the Restart System radio button is enabled not the Shutdown System button.
    • Shutdown any other programs that you are running now before continuing.
    • Now click the Start Repairs button at the lower right.
    • Be patient while the tool repairs the selected items.
    • It should reboot automatically when finished. If it does not then reboot it yourself.

TimW likes this.
  4. Dietcheese

Dietcheese Private E-2

Hi Tim, Chaslang,

Thanks for your assistance. I followed your steps, rebooted, but I'm still running into the same issue.

Any ideas for next steps?

I appreciate it,
    DC

5. TimW

Since this does not appear to be a malware issue, I can only suggest you post in the software forum.

If you are not having any other malware problems, it is time to do our final steps:
    1. We recommend you keep Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for scanning/removal of malware.
    2. Renable your Disk Emulation software with Defogger if you had disabled it in step 4 of the READ & RUN ME.
    3. Go to add/remove programs and uninstall HijackThis. If you don't see it or it will not uninstall, don't worry about it. Just move on to the next step.
    4. If running Vista, Win 7 or Win 8, it is time to make sure you have reenabled UAC by double clicking on the C:\MGtools\enableUAC.reg file and allowing it to be added to the registry.
    5. Now goto the C:\MGtools folder and find the MGclean.bat file. Double click ( if running Vista, Win7, or Win 8 Right Click and Run As Administrator ) on this file to run this cleanup program that will remove files and folders related to MGtools and some other items from our cleaning procedures.
    6. Any other miscellaneous tools we may have had you install or download can be uninstalled and deleted.
    7. After doing the above, you should work thru the below link:

6. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Based on your logs, you do not even have Microsoft Security Essentials installed. Thus Windows Defender, which is part of this in Win 7, cannot run.

7. Dietcheese

Dietcheese Private E-2

Regardless, I can't run Windows Update, which is the main issue here.

Also, I originally posted this in Software, but it was moved to Malware by an admin. Can you please move it back to Software if you don't think it's related to Malware?

Thanks again for your help,
    DC

8. TimW

I have moved your thread back to the software forum. Good luck.

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds