Windows defender won't turn on

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mocknbird2, May 23, 2013.

1. Mocknbird2

Mocknbird2 Private E-2

I recently noticed that windows defender had been off and I turned it on and scheduled daily scans and reset a few options.
    Then yesterday, I find that windows defender won't turn on at all.
    I know someone hacked my system. Apparently in my home at some point and attached a device via bluetooth and then hid all acess to blue tooth controls.
    I know nothing about programming. But when my computer started acting odd, I tried to trouble shoot as best I could.
    Last month I had to do a system restore.
    Latest problem is windows defender is no longer accesible in any way that I can find and I've tried a few ways. It just won't open.
    Ideas?

2. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

3. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Download and run the following program from major Geeks.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

4. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

5. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Eset has no mention of Win 8.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

peterr, Windows Defender was included in Vista and 7 so until the OP tells us, we can't guess if he/she is running XP, Vista, 7 or 8. :confused

7. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I thought I had MSE with Win 7 and now have Defender with Win 8 but I could be mistaken about 7 -it has been awhile.
    Yes, it would help to know the os.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You can download MSE for 7 but it comes with Defender, trying to protect computer users until they install something.
    The Window Defender of 8 IS NOT the Windows Defender installed on 7 and Vista. MS continues to recycle words to confuse users. Defender of 8 is actually like MSE.

9. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Well, they certainly succeeded confusing me especially, "Defender of 8 is actually like MSE." What's next, maybe an old build with a new name. ;)
    Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds