Windows does not start up, possibly due to heat

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by avz10, Aug 15, 2014.

1. avz10

avz10 Private E-2

My desktop suddenly shut down while I was working on it (editing video), which seems to be as a result of the HEAT caused by a dirty/dusty fan.The motherboard was not damaged. The computer was cleaned, but has the following problem:

If I switch it on, the MSi motherboard sign appears and then the new Windows "blocks" as well as the dots that run in a circle.It does not progress, after approximately 5 minutes it sounds as if the desktop shuts down, but it does not and the cycle starts again.

I tried various options- to get into safe mode(this seems a big problem and I could not achieve it); unplugging the computer for a few hours;removed the cables from the 2TB drive (as Windows is installed in the 160GB drive) and finally I decided to erase the 160GB drive, as most of the programmes I will be able to install again.I used DBAN on a disc, but the same cycle as previously described, happen. I am of the opinion,that if I can get into safe mood, I will be able to boot from the disc, delete,etc

Or are there any opinions or advice? It will obviously be easier if I do not need to clean the 160GB drive and re-install all the programmes.

The specs are:Windows 8.1 64 bit;one 160GB and one 2TB HD's; Intel Core i5-2300 CPU; 2.8 GHz; 4 GB RAM

Thanks!

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

From what you have given us and great info BTW, do you not get the pc to boot at all and if so, new graphic card (or borrow on from a friend to test) is a good start to test.

Possibly using a USB+SATA cable connect HDD to another PC to test integrity of the drive, I personally thing from what you describe is that HD is ok but gfx is not.

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

I suspect that during the sudden shutdown your BIOS was "reset to factory default settings".

This would mean that the SATA mode would be reset to IDE. Can you check your BIOS and make sure that your SSD is set to AHCI - else it will get stuck in these cyclic boot cycles - get to Windows splash screen - run "activity wheel" for about 30 secs and then restart.

4. avz10

avz10 Private E-2

Thanks for the responses.

Before I got your advice, I decided to remove the cables from the 160 GB hard drive (this is my C drive and the pc boots from this drive). By some or other way, I managed to install Windows 8 on the 2 TB drive and the pc booted! I am now using my software to upgrade to 8.1.

Thanks again

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds