Windows explorer doesn't remember settings

Discussion in 'Software' started by katornus, Jun 5, 2012.

1. katornus

katornus Private E-2

Hi there,

my windows explorer (WE) does not remember view settings of the last desktop/folder arrangement. 2 examples:
    1) i arrange items all around my desktop and then log out from an account. then i log in again and all the icons are back to left-hand side of the desktop.
    2) i open a folder with pictures and set view setting to "thumbnails" (at the moment default is "details"). then i leave this folder and re-enter it, and the view is back to default, i.e. "details"

this happens only on a user account and not on an admin account, admin account runs fine.

WE started to behave like this a week ago when my machine got infected with a rootkit trojan (zeroaccess.ch). one of infected files was explorer.exe. my avg listed (among others) such infections:
    - explorer.exe(2940)
    - explorer.exe(2940):\memory_03610000
    - explorer.exe(2940) :\memory_014f0000

i was operating on a user account then on and it sneaked through my av. now, with kestrel13!'s help on your malware forum (big thanks), i have already gone through a process of getting rid of this rootkit trojan and couple of lesser viruses. however, this problem with explorer lingers.

please help me to get back on terms with my explorer.

2. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

It would be a lot quicker to create a new user account and just transfer files to the new account, than to repair the damage that ZA caused to the profile.

3. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Hi katornus

I did not see which version of Windows you are using.

The desktop and folder settings issues have two separate (possible) solutions.
    Unfortunately, they both involve editing the registry.
    The two Microsoft solutions both have a Fix it option which may or may not work properly.

Regardless of which methods you use, make a System Restore Point and possibly also a Registry Backup FIRST!!
    See the following thread about registry backups:
    http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=259706

Changes to the size, view, icon or position of a folder are lost

Windows XP Doesn't Remember Folder Settings

Icons change incorrectly in Windows

4. katornus

katornus Private E-2

thanks mjnc for quick answer.

true, my bet, i'm operating on xp prof 32bit.
    i'll check out those options you suggested when i'm back at home. i also figured out that it could be as simple as checking the box "remember folder options" in folder options menu. maybe this virus changed something in these settings, that would be cool if that would be all :)

@ _nullptr
    thanks as well, i'll try first to do some relatively simple changes to fix my profile, but if these do not work, then i'll consider transferring stuff to other account. so far i can see that only WE is "slightly" malfunctioning, i hope nth esle was messed up.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2012
  5. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

I've just reproduced the problem described with a recent ZeroAccess variant and this should fix it.

Temporarily change the problem user account to an Administrator account, then log in to that account.
    Open the Run box (Windows key + R) and enter:
    Code:
    regsvr32 /i shdocvw.dll

Press Ok and hopefully you'll receive a success message.
    Go to Folder Options > View tab and up the top click on 'Reset All Folders'.

All that's left is the fun of setting folders to way you like them :)

6. katornus

katornus Private E-2

wow _nullptr !!! that was nice and smooth! :) i did as you said. i got positive message after running that command and now WE is back with me :)

thanks a lot for taking your time and "reproducing" my situation. i even didn't know that one can do such things (i know that there is a whole submerged iceberg of things that i don't know) but i'm glad that some people do and share their knowledge.

have a good one.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds