Windows Explorer error: codec related?

Discussion in 'Software' started by hopperdave2000, Sep 7, 2007.

1. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

WinXP Pro SP2... I have 2 external USB hard drives (an 80gb and a 100gb) that are loaded with programs, movies, backed up folders, etc... They were working/reading fine yesterday. I added some stuff to the 80gb on a different PC, then I hooked it up to my PC, and while browsing the drive, I get "Windows Explorer has encountered an error and needs to close". So I sent the error via the error reporting service and it tells me that the error was caused by Power DVD. WHAT?!?!? I have NEVER had Power DVD installed on this PC! AND I just formatted the HD 2 days ago!! So, I thought about it for a second, and removed my codec pack (KLite Mega v1.66) and now I can browse the external drives w/o any problems. Has anyone heard of this happening? I wasn't actually viewing any movies or doing anything; I just opened My Computer, double clicked on the external drive (drive F: ) and would start to scroll thru it and the error would pop up. Strange. And now that the codec pack is gone, no errors.... VERY strange :confused If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, PLEASE post! Thanx!

hd2k

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Anyone? :confused
    I'm a bit leary to re-install any codecs; I don't want to risk losing access to my external hard drives again. Who knows: maybe the next codec pack will REALLY screw something up and make the drives permanently inaccessible. So, any ideas? Anybody? Thanx....

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds