Windows Explorer Folder Listings

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bustergut, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Bustergut

Bustergut Private E-2

If I open a folder using My Computer or Windows Explorer I get a list of files down the page when I use detail view. Wonderful. How can I get the list into Notepad to play around with ? Hope this is a stupid question, but I suspect not.

2. genEEneg

genEEneg Private E-2

Windows watches everything else I do... it probably even does that for me.... just look around, you might find a file list or something like that...

3. Hardmarkerin

Hardmarkerin Private First Class

Click start > Run > Type CMD
    Type C: Hit < Enter >
    Then at the C: Prompt type dir .>list.txt
    Hit < Enter >

Close the command Prompt
    Then go to you C Drive
    You will find a text file by name list
    Open it
    It will contain a list of all the files in your C Drive .... in a notepad..

Hope this is wat you want !

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

Or another way to do this:

Click START, then RUN, type in: cmd (press enter).

dir > test.txt | notepad test.txt (press enter)

This will auto load notepad with the outputted text.

5. Bustergut

Bustergut Private E-2

I use DOS all the time, in fact from 1980 ish and it just didn't occur to me to use it to get a listing in this way. Can't see the wood for the trees springs to mind. Thanks for this - it will save me a lot of time.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds