"Windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close..."

Discussion in 'Software' started by turphy, Mar 17, 2006.

1. turphy

turphy Private E-2

This seems weird to me but when I open the "My Document's" folder and then "My Music" folder i get the above error message, windows explorer then reboots itself closing all open folders (very annoying). I have no idea what coluld cause this and have looked for similar problems on the web but all turned up to be unrelated. Please help!!!

(windows xp pro sp2)

2. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

This issue continues to be problematic for many users. One fix that seems to eliminate or reduce the frequency of the error is to open windows explorer, click tools, click folder options, click view, then check the box beside 'launch folder windows in a separate process', then click OK. This was a fix I discovered back in 2005 from a responder in the MG support forum. I've become more savvy now at configuring and selecting settings for my WinXP system and seldom see this issue...even with the box unchecked. I'm not sure the error can be permanently eliminated. Someone higher in rank might want to confirm my post.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

click on where it says to view the details of the error and find the modname.

4. turphy

turphy Private E-2

appname: explorer.exe
    appver:6.0.29000.2180
    modname: unknown
    modver: 0.0.0.0
    offset: 00000000

This is what it says, i hope it helps you!

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Go to Control Panel, Internet Options.

Click on advanced tab, and then uncheck "enable third party browser extensions"

Try it and see if it helps.

6. whatcookies

whatcookies Private E-2

For me, I checked the "Do not Cache Thumbnails" and I no longer get that error. It seems XP Pro was corrupting the thumb.db files on occasion or something. I don't know how correct this is but it worked on my system. If all else fails try it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds