Windows Explorer keeps restarting + BSOD

Discussion in 'Software' started by Texan, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Texan

Texan Private First Class

Hello. I have a Dell PC with Vista 32. I was having the occasion BSOD and then one day everything went wrong and Windows Explorer began to crash and restart.

I was using Bit Defender AV 2010 and aSquared pro. I also regularly scanned with Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Spybot S&D and even stand-alone apps like Norman and Stinger. I also use Zone Alarm., spywareguard and WinPatrol. and more.

I followed all of the instructions on the 'Read & RUN ME FIRST Before Asking for Support' thread. Everything seems clean.

My wife can't remember where she put any of the discs that came with the computer so I don't have a rescue disc or even my original Vista 32 disc.

I was hoping I could get some advise and see if someone could take a look at my dump files. I am on my wife's laptop so I have the ability to download tools to an external hard drive to transfer them to the problem-ed computer and retrieve reports or necessary files.

One last bit of info: When I start the computer I get the following black screen:

Main Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+
    Memory Testing : 2030592K OK+ 64M shared memory (Installed Memory: 2097152K)

SATA 0 :ST3320620AS 3.ADG
    SATA 1 :pBDS DVD+/-RW DH-16W1S 2D15
    SATA 2 :NONE
    SATA 3 :NONE

Diskette drive 0 seek failure

Strike F1 to retry boot , F2 for setup utility
    02/09/2009-1.0.13

When I hit F1 it reboots fine but Windows Explorer crashes and restarts (although that isn't as constant in the Administrator's account.) Safe Mode works okay.

I would really appreciate any help as we don't have the money for a repair shop or a new computer. Thanks in advance for your time and help!

Attached Files:

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

From the BlueScreenView reports it looks like Zonealarm is the cause, update or uninstall it would be my initial advice.

3. Texan

Thanks for your reply. I would have responded sooner but I went out of town for Thanksgiving weekend.
    I did uninstall Zone Alarm, however I am still getting the symptoms that I listed in the original post. I should add that Windows updates fail and so does system restore.

Are there any familiar symptoms that would help you to diagnose and offers suggestions as to how I could fix this?

4. satrow

The best you can do at the moment is to upload the latest dump files, if there are any. The more info we have, the easier it should be to pinpoint the problem.

Same goes with uploading the System and Application logs from Windows Management, save the files as *.evt, zip and upload them. They should provide more useful data, particularly about the Windowa Update problems and any errors leading up to the BSODs.

5. Texan

Okay, Thanks.
    When I click on Event Viewer I get an error that say something like an error has occured and Event Viewer will now close. So I booted into safe mode and nothing happens when I try to launch it.

Do you know where the logs are located so I can access them manually?

Meanwhile I will look for new dump files.

6. satrow

I have no clue as to where the logs are stored, try using MyEventViewer by Nirsoft, you can select individual logs and export them to an html report, it may be all we need.

7. Texan

That worked! The complete report contained over 125,000 events which I can submit but attached are just the events from the end of September through present day. I had a few options of formats but I chose .txt because it seemed more thorough than HTML.

By looking at it I could tell when things started to go south just a couple of days into the events.

Attached Files:

8. satrow

Hmm, that txt file is 64MB uncompressed, be better if you could give me some clues as to where to begin or break down the logs individually after setting the filters to unload all the Success entries.

9. Texan

Sorry. I didn't notice the filter option.
    Attached is the filtered log. The computer went haywire on or around 10/03/10 but big errors seems to have begun in September 2010.

Attached Files:

10. Texan

I've already posted a filtered event log but in case this make things easier, here are event logs separated by date and have been numbered in descending order from most current to oldest.

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds