Windows Explorer opening to my documents on boot up

Discussion in 'Software' started by Parky71, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Parky71

Parky71 Private E-2

Hi chaps,

I know you guys are all busy and probably can't be bothered to reply, but any help you can give (however small) will be appreciated.

I have a problem of late which I cannot seem to resolve, and it's doing my head in.

One day I booted my laptop, and I got Windows Explorer opening automatically point to my documents. I did find some malware during a McAfee scan, which was removed.

I also found a weird program called services.exe in the windows directory being launched from the LOCAL run key and trying to connect to the internet. I promptly removed that program from my computer. But I fear some serious damage has been done to my registry.

I booted up in safe mode, and it doesn't seem to open there.

What I have done so far to try and fix the problem:

1) I disabled all the start up programs in system configuration start up tab and it still happens.

2) I checked the four registry run keys for any bad entries, nothing. I even checked winlogon key (userinit) under WindowsNT and nothing there.

3) Checked the desktopprocess value under Explorer key. Doesn't exist.

4) Checked the Windows Explorer options and that seems fine.

5) Even done a registry clean using a McAfee tool. No luck.

6) Nothing now, because I've run outta ideas :cry

I ran hijackthis and the log which is attached. Does it look okay, because I haven't got a clue what most of this stuff means.

any help would greatly be appreciated

thanks,
    Steve

Attached Files:

2. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Depends on its location.

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/services.exe.html

I would agree with the entry from V8

As regards My Documents opening up at start up have you

Start>Programs>StartUp and check what is contained within it....

If you see My Documents listed at the above location you will need to remove it.

Good Luck

3. Parky71

Parky71 Private E-2

thanks for your reply,

I done right in removing the services.exe program as it was located in the c:windows\ directory and not c:\windows\system32

I clicked on 'START' went to 'ALL PROGRAMS' and then right clicked on the Startup item folder but I could not find a My Documents in the resultant window that opened to that directory.

This is so strange....I'm totally lost...

4. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

ok try this

In my registry the Userinit value only has one
    in the right hand pane. As a test I added the second part so that it now read.

C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe,C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe,

Low and behold on reboot the My Documents folder opened. Now I Removed the second C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe, and now xp boots ok.

I am pretty sure that this fix will do the job but in the event that it does not here is the link to the thread with further possible solutions

http://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-21035-My-Documents-Folder-Opens-on-Boot-winxp-sp2.html

Good Luck

5. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

6. Parky71

Parky71 Private E-2

The winlogon was originally okay. It had:

c:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,

It didn't have two entries. Everything I've tried has failed. Been working on this for 3 days straight!

I'm kinda resigned to the possibility that I will never find the issue in that rats nest of a registry. How can anyone debug that thing?

What really winds me up is that Windows doesn't even give you a clue about what went wrong. It just throws up a pointless window and that's it.

thanks for you help though, it is very much appreciated

7. Parky71

Parky71 Private E-2

8. Parky71

Parky71 Private E-2

Bingo! Woohoo!

Got half way through the process and it done the trick! Found a few issues, repaired it and no more Windows Explorer on boot up.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, that means a lot.
    God bless,
    Steve

9. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

make sure you run all of the scans, and then post your results in the malware forum, so a friendly malware helper/expert can make sure you are all clear.

10. Parky71

Parky71 Private E-2

Yep, will do.

cheers,

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds