Windows failed to load because the nls data is missing or corrupt

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tenuchi_Drake, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Tenuchi_Drake

Tenuchi_Drake Private E-2

Hey guys/gals,

I'm new to the forums and was hoping that the kind people here could help me out?
    My problem being that when i attempt to boot the vista home premium sp1 system I'm working on i get the following error...status 0xc000000f "windows failed to load because the nls data is missing or corrupt"

Now I've been down all of the standard repair routes and no joy, although i have heard i can possibly take another vista install nls files and copy them to a usb drive for use in the problem machine. This seems to be above my skill set so any assistants you can offer would be warmly accepted.

Regards,
    Tenuchi

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

Do you have a bootable vista dvd?
    if so
    1. Put the Windows Vista or Windows 7 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer.
    2. Press a key when you are prompted.
    3. Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or an input method, and then click Next.
    4. Click Repair your computer.
    5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
    6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.
    7. Type the command sfc /scannow

3. Tenuchi_Drake

Thanks for the swift reply,
    Unfortunately recovery disks and all options in the windowsRE have proven to be no help, i have also rebuilt the bcd manually and no luck...

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Errors when atarting can sometimes be a disc dying- could be worth running 'smart' check, if available in the bios, otherwise hook hard drive up to another pc as a slave, and use one of the free downloads to check it.
    As you say you are a little concerned when doing anything, I would think smokinggun could advise on that, if he feels it an option, too.

5. Tenuchi_Drake

I had considered this, but unfortunately i dont have another laptop i can connect the drive as a slave. Is there anyway i could possibly connect and reapai through a network?

6. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If someone has a usb harddrive caddy you can borrow, you could read it from a pc, or a laptop.
    There are several other little gadgets, (beeing such a moron, I try loads of different gadgets) Theree is one that you can plug the hard drive into, andd usb plug into another pc/laptop, for ide, and sata drives (I expect yours might be sata ? )
    Sata drives have two sockets, one wider than the other, whereas IDE have multi small pins fitting into a single longer plug.

7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Google for sata hard drive adaptor, as I have to go off-line now, and watch Liverpool match.........
    Others might come on to help, though, otherwise it will be after the football, unless I get lucky, as I have the gadgets around, but will have to se where I got them- can take time.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds