windows firewall and zonealarm

Discussion in 'Software' started by BERG, Dec 30, 2005.

1. BERG

BERG Private E-2

Hi all, Just a question about firewalls, I have been using the free ZoneAlarm version and when i talked to some other computer people they said it was a waste, and i should just use the windows firewall. They said windows firewall is just as good as zonealarm and will not take up space on your computer. Is this correct? What about zonealarm pro? I would think that the professional one is better than windows firewall.

2. comperroruter

comperroruter Darth Meatloaf

The Windows firewall only stops incoming traffic. It does not stop any outgoing traffic (for examply spyware/adware/keyloggers, etc.). ZoneAlarm free regulates your incoming and outgoing traffic. All the pro version does (trust me, I own it) is give some extra little features that I dont even use. The ZoneAlarm freeware version is an excellent Firewall. Once you get through the set-up/learning phase it is completely unintrusive. You do not even have to know it is working if you do not want to. Post any other questions you may have about Zone Alarm and I will try to answer them for you.

:) In my opinion, you are better off with ZoneAlarm than you are with Windows Firewall.:)

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

as computerrouter correctly stated windows built in firewall is crippled to the point it only blocks incomming traffic, yes its fine at that, but what happens if you get infected or install what looks like an innocent app that dumps all your personal data onto the net, the Win firewall will leak data like a seive as its doesnt block outgoing data... best to stick with ZA Free or Outpost Free as a TRUE firewall.

I do worry about so called computer advice that you seemed to have gotten!!! :(

Even if you have a NAT router it is alwasy best practice to have installed an Incomming/outgoing firewall, you'd be suprised at what apps want net access, and again the WinFirewall will pour your data out...........

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds