Windows firewall-BLOCK

Discussion in 'Software' started by jeff3900, Jul 15, 2008.

1. jeff3900

jeff3900 Private E-2

I get a lot of phone calls from people I do not want to talk to. I have caller ID , dsl internet and I even have installed several of the software programs that promise to block incoming calls, tired the old *77, still got thru, tried to use the pay service at AT&T, still got thru!!

Is it possible to use windows firewall in some way to block certain callers without disrupting my internet/phone connection?

2. Dreamer

Dreamer Corporal

Your computer will not be able to even remotely effect who you get calls from unless your phone somehow runs through your computer. Windows firewall will not block phone calls, it only blocks unwanted incomming connections from the internet to your computer. I would recomend uninstalling those programs you installed to block phone calls, they most likely installed malware onto your computer. Screen your calls if you have caller id, it's what I do :)

3. Appzalien

Appzalien Staff Sergeant

There are some calls that cannot be blocked by any service. They are made by a machine that dials numbers at random and when one rings it sets it aside to see if it will be answered. You may have noticed these calls because they are always the irritating advertising or give us money calls, and when you pick one up there is a short silence before the caller drops in. Thats just the way the system works, he's sitting at a dialer thats dialing 10 numbers at a time and the first one that gets picked up he or she answers, thats why the delay. I use that delay to hangup the phone thereby screwing them up and they have to restart the dialer.

Your best and cheapest bet is to buy an answering machine, they hate those things, and you can turn the volume way down and only answer the calls you want to, and delete the rest.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds