Windows forgets my view settings

Discussion in 'Software' started by XTAL256, Oct 15, 2009.

1. XTAL256

XTAL256 Private First Class

I have had this problem for a while now and it's getting quite annoying so i thought i would just post this and see if anyone could help. I have posted about this on other forums but i don't think i have tried here yet.

Anyway, the problem is that Windows will occasionally (but often enough to be annoying) "forget" the view settings for certain folders. That is, i set a folder to Tiles view with "Align to grid" but not "Auto arrange" and i arrange the files myself. Then some days when i turn on my laptop (either boot or resume from hibernation, not sure if it matters) i will navigate to that folder and "Align to grid" will be off and the files will be all over the place. Still in Tiles view, but aligned in 3 columns not two which is very annoying because the last column is only partially visible.

I have tried the workaround provided here and it didn't work. Besides, i already have the latest service pack for XP so that so-called fix is already on my computer.
    I will double check both those registry keys when i get home but i know that the max size is already 5000.

I have even once tried resetting all the view settings, which was a pain to put back to how i like them, but that didn't help. I think the settings are stored in the BagMRU subkeys and I wonder if maybe i should just delete that whole subkey.
    Every single website that i find on google all say the same thing, to change BagMRU Size to ~5000. I HAVE DONE THAT!! It doesn't work! The strangest thing is that when it does forget settings for a folder, it is usually one of the most recently used, not the least.

2. XTAL256

XTAL256 Private First Class

Ok, i deleted the BagMRU registry keys. I realised that resetting the view settings ("Reset All Folders" option) doesn't actually delete those keys so maybe i need to do that in order to completely reset it.
    Hopefully that will fix it although i wouldn't be surprised if the problem started happening again after a few months. Sadly i don't think Microsoft intend to ever fix these minor, yet quite annoying, bugs.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds