Windows Freezes After 10 Minutes

Discussion in 'Software' started by RGW, Nov 12, 2016.

Tags:
  1. RGW

RGW Private E-2

I still use a desktop with Windows 6.0, because it's the only computer in my family that still has a disc drive. Usually, when I turn it on, it will take around a minute to load. But I know that if I touch the computer within the first ten minutes after loading, the entire system will freeze. Usually, when I restart, this fixes the problem.

However, lately, Windows will wait for over 20 minutes before it freezes. Also, restarting is working less and less.

Can anyone offer any help?

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

3. RGW

RGW Private E-2

It's Vista, with the service pack add-on.

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Have a look at start up processes to see what is there.
    There are two ways to do that, either
    1. CCleaner > Tools > Start up
    or, as you are using Vista:
    1. Windows Defender > Software Explorer > click on 'SHOW FOR ALL USERS'

5. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , vista is an old slow - nightmare operating system , you could inform us about your processor also your ram by this path :

Pushing Win + R
    Typing msinfo32
    ok

At System Summary report is what we need , inform about that ;)

6. RGW

RGW Private E-2

Is this what you need?

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
    Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name -PC
    System Manufacturer alienware
    System Model alienware
    System Type x64-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8200 @ 2.66GHz, 2666 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 1/22/2008
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
    User Name -PC\
    Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 4.00 GB
    Available Physical Memory 1.78 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 8.20 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 5.67 GB
    Page File Space 4.29 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

7. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

You still need to investigate start ups.

8. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Is this machine certifiably malware free?

9. RGW

RGW Private E-2

I'm not sure how to verify that it's Malware free, but I've run some virus scans in the past and come up with nothing.

MaxTurner, is this the info you need from Windows Defender? Thanks for your help.

File Name: hpqtra08.exe
    Display Name: HP Digital Imaging
    Description: HP Digital Imaging Monitor
    Publisher: Hewlett-Packard Co.
    Digitally Signed By: NOT SIGNED
    File Type: Application
    File Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
    File Size: 275072
    File Version: 140.0.212.000
    Date Installed: 11/17/2009 10:42:52 PM
    Startup Type: All Users Startup Folder
    Location: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk
    Classification: Not yet classified
    Ships with Operating System: No
    SpyNet Voting: In Progress

10. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Use CCleaner as suggested in post #4.
    At the bottom right click Save to text file... and upload that file.

11. the mekanic

This really sounds like software issues. If Windows does become corrupt on a system file level it will do things like freeze and fail to boot.

Have you opened an administrative command prompt and run sfc /scannow?

MaxTurner likes this.
  12. RGW

RGW Private E-2

Okay, I typed sfc into the Windows Start Search, but after clicking it, the black pop-up box appeared for literally a half-second and disappeared. And searching for CCleaner on my comp led to zero results. Can anyone offer guidance on what to do next?

13. Eldon

1. Open C:\Program Files\CCleaner and double-click CCleaner.
    or...
    2. Search for cmd. Right-click it and click Run as administrator.

14. the mekanic

You need to type cmd into the search box. Then, right click on the result. Left click "Run as Administrator". This will open a command prompt window. Type sfc /scannow into the black box and press "Enter".

15. RGW

RGW Private E-2

Thanks for the help. The message reads "Window Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."
    Is there a next step to take?

16. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Post #4 - start ups. you need to look at what autostarts at boot
    CCleaner > Tools > Start Ups > bottom right corner > 'save to text file'
    Post it here

17. RGW

RGW Private E-2

I can't find CCleaner on this device (it runs on Vista.) I know that there's a program called CCleaner that I can download. Is that what I need to do?

18. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Read back in this thread carefully or it's gonna go round in circles.
    CCleaner Slim

In VISTA you can also see start ups in Windows Defender but you need to follow it as I explained in post #4 and open WD, choose 'SOFTWARE EXPLORER' and at the bottom tick the box 'SHOW FOR ALL USERS' then a full list of ALL start ups will show.

The choice of the two above options is yours.

19. RGW

RGW Private E-2

This is a screenshot after I click "SHOW FOR ALL USERS":
    upload_2016-11-26_13-44-19.png

20. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Sadly that is not a text file - it is a screenshot so unreadable. For that you would need to crop it just to show the entries. If you can't read it we cant. And anyway, it is NOT a list of start ups, that much I can read.

USE CCLEANER > Tools > Start Ups > save to text file

21. RGW

RGW Private E-2

Okay, does this one work? (I tried to delete the screenshot but couldn't edit the post fast enough)

Attached Files:

22. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

It's not possible to know if that is the full list. Why don't you just save time and use CCleaner?

23. RGW

RGW Private E-2

Okay, I ran CCleaner for the first time, & this is the text file:
    Yes HKCU:Run CCleaner Monitoring Piriform Ltd "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe" /MONITOR
    Yes HKCU:Run Sidebar Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
    Yes HKCU:RunOnce FlashPlayerUpdate Adobe Systems Incorporated C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil32_23_0_0_205_Plugin.exe -update plugin
    Yes HKLM:Run AVG_UI AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. "C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\Framework\Common\avguirna.exe" /lps=av
    Yes HKLM:Run AvgUi AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. "C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\Framework\Common\avguirna.exe" /lps=fmw
    Yes HKLM:Run Dropbox Dropbox, Inc. "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\Dropbox.exe" /systemstartup
    Yes HKLM:Run HP Software Update Hewlett-Packard C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
    Yes HKLM:Run SunJavaUpdateSched Oracle Corporation "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
    Yes HKLM:Run vProt AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. "C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG Web TuneUp\vprot.exe"
    Yes HKLM:Run Windows Defender Microsoft Corporation %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
    Yes Startup Common HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk Hewlett-Packard Co. C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe

24. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

25. RGW

RGW Private E-2

This is from WhatInStartup. Is this what you need to see?
    Registry -> Machine Run (WOW64) No HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    AVG_UI Registry -> Machine Run (WOW64) "C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\Framework\Common\avguirna.exe" /lps=av No AVG Framework 1.132.2.38575 AVG Ui (Re)Starter AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\Framework\Common\avguirna.exe 9/13/2016 6:54:10 AM 9/13/2016 6:54:10 AM A 218,896
    AvgUi Registry -> Machine Run (WOW64) "C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\Framework\Common\avguirna.exe" /lps=fmw No AVG Framework 1.132.2.38575 AVG Ui (Re)Starter AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\Framework\Common\avguirna.exe 9/13/2016 6:54:10 AM 9/13/2016 6:54:10 AM A 218,896
    CCleaner Monitoring Registry -> User Run "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe" /MONITOR No CCleaner 5, 24, 00, 5841 CCleaner Piriform Ltd HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe 11/15/2016 3:24:00 PM 11/15/2016 3:24:00 PM A 9,105,112
    Dropbox Registry -> Machine Run (WOW64) "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\Dropbox.exe" /systemstartup No Dropbox 14.4.19 Dropbox Dropbox, Inc. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\Dropbox.exe 11/12/2016 11:45:27 AM 11/7/2016 5:58:54 PM A 25,673,776 11/26/2016 11:51:25 AM
    FlashPlayerUpdate Registry -> User Run Once C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil32_23_0_0_205_Plugin.exe -update plugin No Adobe® Flash® Player Installer/Uninstaller 23,0,0,205 Adobe® Flash® Player Installer/Uninstaller 23.0 r0 Adobe Systems Incorporated HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil32_23_0_0_205_Plugin.exe 10/29/2016 12:20:13 PM 10/29/2016 12:20:13 PM A 1,224,896
    HP Digital Imaging Monitor Startup Folder -> Common "C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe" No HP Digital Imaging 140.0.212.000 HP Digital Imaging Monitor Hewlett-Packard Co. C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe 11/18/2009 3:42:52 AM 11/18/2009 3:42:52 AM A 275,072 11/26/2016 11:51:24 AM
    HP Software Update Registry -> Machine Run (WOW64) C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe No hpwuSchd Application 80, 1, 1, 0 hpwuSchd Application Hewlett-Packard HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe 5/30/2013 1:50:10 PM 5/30/2013 1:50:10 PM A 96,056 11/26/2016 11:51:25 AM
    Sidebar Registry -> User Run C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun No Microsoft® Windows® Operating System 6.0.6001.18000 (longhorn_rtm.080118-1840) Windows Sidebar Microsoft Corporation HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe 9/17/2014 7:40:28 PM 4/11/2009 2:10:53 AM A 1,555,968
    SunJavaUpdateSched Registry -> Machine Run (WOW64) "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe" No Java(TM) Platform SE Auto Updater 2.1.67.1 Java(TM) Update Scheduler Oracle Corporation HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe 7/25/2014 11:29:36 AM 7/25/2014 11:29:36 AM A 256,896 11/26/2016 11:51:25 AM
    vProt Registry -> Machine Run (WOW64) "C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG Web TuneUp\vprot.exe" No VProtect Application 4.3.6.255 VProtect Application HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG Web TuneUp\vprot.exe 11/5/2014 8:25:35 PM 9/30/2016 11:15:30 AM A 2,180,680 11/26/2016 11:51:25 AM
    Windows Defender Registry -> Machine Run %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide No HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe

26. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

A number of items don't really need to auto start. I suggest, using WhatInStartup, right click and disable all HP entries. Disable Flash, Java, and CCleaner Monitor. All of these can be started and stopped later, at your pleasure.
    I see both Defender and AVG starting. This can lead to serious conflict with much slowdown. For now, disable all AVG entries. Restart the computer and see if you get any improvement.

Imandy Mann likes this.
  27. falconattack

You could download this

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/hard_disk_sentinel.html

ever you could run this

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/temp_file_cleaner.html

as StruldBrug said , two antivirus programmes is no good , for me you have to uninstall avg completely using this utility

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/avg_remover.html

replacing with avira antivirus for instance

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/avira_free_antivirus.html

disabling Windows Defender

http://www.simplehelp.net/2011/04/13/how-to-disable-windows-defender-in-vista-win-7/

but for me it's time to get rid of vista nightmare with newer Operating System like Win 7 i think :cool:

28. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

There is nothing wrong with Vista per se - I still help maintain a Vista system my brother uses very successfully and this user's issues are nothing to do with the OS itself (it's something else) and suggesting that is, in my experience, a distraction.

These start up items from the CCleaner list are not needed: EVERY SINGLE ONE except those for AVG and possibly Windows Defender.
    Sidebar should be shut down in Vista - it is malware attracting.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    Eldon likes this.
  29. Eldon

In Windows Vista, Windows Defender is a antispyware program. It won't conflict with AVG or any other free antivirus program.
    Disabling the AVG startup entries will leave RGW without security.

MaxTurner likes this.
  30. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

A point I forgot. Re AVG & Windows Defender. Re WD and AVG is installed and active there is no conflict between WD and just one separate 3rd party software program. It is two separate 3rd party AV programs installed that cause conflicts.

EDIT: Eldon very correctly got in before me with correct advice. Both other posters are incorrect in their advice on AV programs and the OS itself.

31. StruldBrug

StruldBrug Sergeant

:oops:I was wrong about AVG an Defender in Post #26!:(Eldon reminded me Vista Defender wasn't the same as it is in later versions. Thank you
    Eldon, for the memory jolt:D
    So, disregard the following:
    Instead, only disable vProt AVG entry.
    Also, you can disable the Sidebar and Dropbox entries. This should leave you with AVG_UI, AvgUi, and Windows Defender still enabled. Restart and see if things improve.

Eldon likes this.
  32. Eldon

:)
    It's often difficult keeping tabs on which Windows version/edition is used, especially when helping in different threads.

33. falconattack

Ok but avg isn't good enough as avira , even vista is an old operating system without good points , Eldon and MaxTurner you are alright , i haven't noticed Defender action in vista ( Windows Defender is a antispyware program ) maybe the hdd is the problem , you would check this :cool:

34. the mekanic

35. RGW

RGW Private E-2

Thanks for the help. The problem went away for a few days, but now it's back. I suspected Windows might not be the culprit. Should I start a new thread in the Hardware section?

This is the log that came from HDSentinel:

-- General Information --

Application Information
    -------------------------
    Installed Version . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hard Disk Sentinel 4.71
    Registered To . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unregistered version, please register.
    Current Date And Time . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 12/12/2016 3:31:14 PM
    Health Calculation Method . . . . . . . . . . . : Analyse data field (default)

Computer Information
    ----------------------
    Computer Name . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : R-PC
    User Name . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : R
    Computer Type . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Desktop
    IP Address . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.64
    MAC Address . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 00-04-4B-0A-31-C8
    System Uptime . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 0 days, 0 hours, 15 minutes, 58 seconds
    System Idle Time . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 0 days, 0 hours, 0 minutes, 0 seconds
    System Up Since . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 12/12/2016 3:15:16 PM
    CPU Usage . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : CPU #1: 60 %, CPU #2: 60 %
    Virtual Memory . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 8410 MB, Used: 3604 MB (43 %)

System Information
    --------------------
    Windows Version . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Windows (TM) Vista Home Premium
    CPU Type & Speed #1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8200 @ 2.66GHz, 2666 MHz
    CPU Type & Speed #2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8200 @ 2.66GHz, 2666 MHz
    BIOS Manufacturer . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Award - Phoenix
    Physical Memory Size . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 4094 MB, Used: 3090 MB (75 %)
    Display Adapter . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
    Display Resolution . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 1920 x 1080 (32 bit)
    Printer #1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : HP Photosmart D110 series
    Printer #2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft XPS Document Writer
    Network Controller #1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
    Network Controller #2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller #2
    Network Controller #3 . . . . . . . . . . . . . : RAS Async Adapter
    Optical Drive . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : D: HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55N / 1.00 (DVD-RAM, DVD-RW, CD-RW)

PCI Device Information
    ------------------------
    PCI Bus 0; Device 0; Function 0 . . . . . . . . : PCI standard host CPU bridge
    PCI Bus 0; Device 0; Function 1 . . . . . . . . : PCI standard RAM Controller
    PCI Bus 0; Device 0; Function 2 . . . . . . . . : PCI standard RAM Controller
    PCI Bus 0; Device 0; Function 3 . . . . . . . . : PCI standard RAM Controller
    PCI Bus 0; Device 0; Function 4 . . . . . . . . : PCI standard RAM Controller
    PCI Bus 0; Device 0; Function 5 . . . . . . . . : PCI standard RAM Controller
    PCI Bus 0; Device 0; Function 6 . . . . . . . . : PCI standard RAM Controller
    PCI Bus 0; Device 0; Function 7 . . . . . . . . : PCI standard RAM Controller
    PCI Bus 0; Device 1; Function 0 . . . . . . . . : PCI standard RAM Controller
    PCI Bus 0; Device 1; Function 1 . . . . . . . . : PCI standard RAM Controller
    PCI Bus 0; Device 1; Function 2 . . . . . . . . : PCI standard RAM Controller
    PCI Bus 0; Device 1; Function 3 . . . . . . . . : PCI standard RAM Controller
    PCI Bus 0; Device 1; Function 4 . . . . . . . . : PCI standard RAM Controller
    PCI Bus 0; Device 1; Function 5 . . . . . . . . : PCI standard RAM Controller
    PCI Bus 0; Device 1; Function 6 . . . . . . . . : PCI standard RAM Controller
    PCI Bus 0; Device 2; Function 0 . . . . . . . . : PCI standard RAM Controller
    PCI Bus 0; Device 2; Function 1 . . . . . . . . : PCI standard RAM Controller
    PCI Bus 0; Device 2; Function 2 . . . . . . . . : PCI standard RAM Controller
    PCI Bus 0; Device 3; Function 0 . . . . . . . . : PCI Express standard Root Port
    PCI Bus 0; Device 9; Function 0 . . . . . . . . : PCI standard RAM Controller
    PCI Bus 0; Device 10; Function 0 . . . . . . . . : PCI standard ISA bridge
    PCI Bus 0; Device 10; Function 1 . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management
    PCI Bus 0; Device 11; Function 0 . . . . . . . . : Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
    PCI Bus 0; Device 11; Function 1 . . . . . . . . : Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
    PCI Bus 0; Device 13; Function 0 . . . . . . . . : Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller
    PCI Bus 0; Device 14; Function 0 . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller
    PCI Bus 0; Device 14; Function 1 . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller
    PCI Bus 0; Device 14; Function 2 . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller
    PCI Bus 0; Device 15; Function 0 . . . . . . . . : PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge
    PCI Bus 0; Device 15; Function 1 . . . . . . . . : High Definition Audio Controller
    PCI Bus 0; Device 17; Function 0 . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
    PCI Bus 0; Device 18; Function 0 . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller #2
    PCI Bus 1; Device 0; Function 0 . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
    PCI Bus 2; Device 7; Function 0 . . . . . . . . : Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
    PCI Bus 2; Device 10; Function 0 . . . . . . . . : PCI standard host CPU bridge

-- Physical Disk Information - Disk: #0: WDC WD5003ABYX-18WER --

Hard Disk Summary
    -------------------
    Hard Disk Number . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 0
    Interface . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : ATA
    Disk Controller . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller (ATA) [VEN: 10DE, DEV: 037F] Version: 5.10.2600.830, 4-23-2007
    Disk Location . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Bus Number 0, Target Id 0, LUN 0
    Hard Disk Model ID . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : WDC WD5003ABYX-18WER
    Firmware Revision . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 01.0
    Hard Disk Serial Number . . . . . . . . . . . . : 01.0_DRIVE0
    Total Size . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 476937 MB
    Power State . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Active
    Logical Drive(s) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : C: []
    Current Temperature . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : ?
    Health . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : ? (Unknown)
    Performance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : ? (Unknown)

Disk Information
    ------------------
    Disk Family . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : RE4
    Form Factor . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 3.5"
    Capacity . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 500 GB (500 x 1,000,000,000 bytes)
    Number Of Disks . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 1
    Number Of Heads . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 2
    Rotational Speed . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 7200 RPM
    Rotation Time . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.33 ms
    Average Rotational Latency . . . . . . . . . . . : 4.17 ms
    Disk Interface . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Serial-ATA/300
    Buffer-Host Max. Rate . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 300 MB/seconds
    Buffer Size . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 65536 KB
    Drive Ready Time (Typical) . . . . . . . . . . . : 14 seconds
    Average Seek Time . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : ? ms
    Track To Track Seek Time . . . . . . . . . . . . : ? ms
    Full Stroke Seek Time . . . . . . . . . . . . . : ? ms
    Width . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 101.6 mm (4.0 inch)
    Depth . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 147.0 mm (5.8 inch)
    Height . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 26.1 mm (1.0 inch)
    Weight . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 450 grams (1.0 pounds)
    Acoustic (Idle) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 2.8 Bel
    Acoustic (Min Performance And Volume) . . . . . : 2.9 Bel
    Acoustic (Max Performance And Volume) . . . . . : 3.3 Bel
    Required Power For Spinup . . . . . . . . . . . : 1,250 mA
    Power Required (Seek) . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 9.5 W
    Power Required (Idle) . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8 W
    Power Required (Standby) . . . . . . . . . . . . : 1.6 W
    Manufacturer . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : Western Digital Corporation
    Manufacturer Website . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products

S.M.A.R.T.
    ------------
    No. Attribute Thre.. Value Worst Data Status Flags

Transfer Rate Information
    ---------------------------
    Total Data Read . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 420 MB, 420 MB since installation (12/12/2016)
    Total Data Write . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 422 MB, 422 MB since installation
    Average Reads Per Day . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 420.00 MB
    Average Writes Per Day . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 422.00 MB
    Current Transfer Rate . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 296 KB/s
    Maximum Transfer Rate . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 4918 KB/s
    Current Read Rate . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 225 KB/s
    Current Write Rate . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 71 KB/s
    Current Disk Activity . . . . . . . . . . . . . : 23 %

-- Partition Information --

Logical Drive Total Space Free Space Free Space Used Space
    C: (Disk: #0) 465.8 GB 313.7 GB 67 % ######--------------

36. the mekanic

Current Temperature . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : ?
    Health . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : ? (Unknown)
    Performance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : ? (Unknown)

We need this info.

37. RGW

RGW Private E-2

Okay, which report in HDSentinel should I run? I'm not familiar with the program, and that's the one that automatically ran when I opened it. Thanks.

38. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I'm going to address this issue because Vista will stop being patched in 2017 and you might want to e-cycle this computer
    Do you mean optical drive (CD/DVD) or floppy drive?

There are solutions for lack of either or both items.

39. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

40. falconattack

Attached Files:

41. RGW

RGW Private E-2

"Do you mean optical drive (CD/DVD) or floppy drive?"

A CD/DVD drive.

I'm receiving a message that "Temperature is not supported on this hard disk." when I try to run HDSentinel. I'm assuming I didn't install it properly. Falconattack -- my version just has question marks next to those categories. I'm attaching the file I DL'ed from HWMONITOR. Is this any help?

Attached Files:

42. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

No SMART data usually means one/two things, SMART is disabled in the BIOS, or, the SATA controller driver is 'blocking' the data transfer (as it would if you were to attempt a firmware update on the drive).

The first is relatively easy to check/fix, the second needs a driver changed from the NVIDIA nForce Serial ATA Controller(s) to the default Microsoft driver version in Windows Management.

EDIT: 12v line is very low: Voltage 4 8.31 Volts [0x95] (+12V)

Your 'board type usually develops an issue where the Northbridge cooler works loose and overheats, causing slowdowns (throttling). Maybe not the current issue but worth checking out and dealing with, if you need to keep using the machine for much longer).

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016
  43. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Processor (cpu) Temperature 1
    51 degC (123 degF) (Core #0)
    45 degC (113 degF) (Core #1)
    Board temperatures
    Temperature 1 38 degC (99 degF) [0x4B] (CPUTIN)
    Temperature 2 30 degC (86 degF) [0x3C] (AUXTIN)
    Voltages do seem low, as Satrow says - It could be worth checking, or, even replacing your psu (power supply)
    The Northbridge cooler that Satrow mentioned -I am not sure on this boardd if it gas a clamp, or, is fixed, but if it has a clamp/clip it is a reasonably easy to remove, and put little artic silver paste on it to help reduce heat gain- I would have to find a picture of your board to confirm.
    Personally, I don't feel the pc is getting too hot, at all - I have seen socket 775 motherboards/cpu's, go much higher without causing a problem
    You could try this software tool, just to test

OCCT (OverClock Checking Tool) will let you benchmark, overclock and monitor your system components.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/occt.html

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  44. RGW

RGW Private E-2

Okay...are there detailed steps on what you suggest I do next? Or should the family just let go of this comp? Thanks for all of your help, and I apologize for how long this thread has gotten.

45. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

To make it easier for us –Give us the exact model of the computer, just Alienware can point to so many.

Depending on the graphics card, you could upgrade -Windows 7 is relatively cheap right now, BUT, I would check out the power supply before going too far, spending money.

If you have a recovery disc, or, you may have a recovery partition, to go back to factory condition-if it was factory installed.—Recovey discs? –probably lost/mislaid ?it could prove useful, after going through all the input from the geeks on here -

Where to start? Re-read all the help offered, first.

If not happy --If you have anything -data/photos etc: that you don't want to lose, I would try to save them to usb stick/dvd/cd.

Personally, I never liked Vista, but everyone to their own, I had loads of problems with it, many moons ago.

But if you like it, and you are fighting the computer at the moment, with it not staying on long enough to do much/save much- then my way would be to check out like this.

Recheck to get the temperatures again, and try that a couple of times, to see if it does go higher before it shuts down , -if it does, it could be overheating ,

In that case, I would look at the cooler fans on the cpu (processor) as after 7 years, it could be full of fluff/cats hairs etc:

The motherboard and ram may need a clean, /ram reseating can solve a lot of issues. Dust and fluff can short out the ram, too, again causing all sorts of problems.

or, run

OCCT (OverClock Checking Tool) will let you benchmark, overclock and monitor your system components.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/occt.html

46. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

47. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

When in windows, right click on computer, click on manage, click event viewer- it might give you some problem reports to give to us.
    Or, you can Press f8on startup , as the Dell logo appears
    (sometimes delete button does it,
    You can choose to start in safe mode, first, - Try this to see if it will run without shutting down, if so, then try again in safe mode, so go down the list and try with networking, again-see if it runs o.k.
    If so, you can keep retrying to see when it will not run properly.
    I believe it is somewhere in safe mode advanced on this one to find 'repair your computer' to get to advanced to get to image restore,but it is a long time since I did this on a Vista model.
    I seem to remember many Dell will work on the del button at startup,to find recovery image. I will need to look into it further.

48. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Buy an external optical drive. I purchased one quite a few years ago because we have 3 netbooks without drives and a very old Windows 2000 all-in-one (I rescued it I did not buy an a-i-o computer) that only has a CD-ROM in it.
    Example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136261

Make sure whatever you buy has a Y USB connector that will use 2 USB ports. One port doesn't supply enough power and carrying around a power brick for a DVD burner is no fun.

Attached Files:

49. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

50. RGW

RGW Private E-2

I've attached a screenshot of the System Information screen. Also, I ran Event Viewer, but don't know how to export a detail list from it. I've also attached a screenshot of the errors listed.

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds