Windows Genuine Advantage Notification

Discussion in 'Software' started by NickAyllen, Nov 12, 2006.

1. NickAyllen

NickAyllen Private E-2

I had to get rid of it so i found a way through editing the registry and after i did that and restarted i found out that my Recycle bin was gone,my Programs that i can access through "Start---> All Programs" were gone too.Folder options and other things were missing from my control panel,i had few issues with programs then i fixed them by installing everything all over again.
    Is there a way to make programs show up again in my All programs menu?Even the newly installed programs won't show up there anymore.but i can access them through c:\Program Files.

System restore doesn't work anymore.
    I tried few registry programs "registry mechanic" with no results.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

2. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

C:\Documents and Settings\known-good-user-name\Start Menu

Copy this folder to yours, log out & back in. That's, if you have another working account. All Users might work.

Next time, file > export the registry to a file, edit, reboot. If you screw up, file > import the previous registry file, reboot.

3. abri

abri MajorGeek

Hi Nick,

for future reference, this might be a better way to deal with WGA:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/RemoveWGA_d5170.html

As for the other things you need to get back, I expect there is someone else who can help you there.
    abri

4. NickAyllen

NickAyllen Private E-2

akhilles,That didn't work even on any new user account All programs remain empty,and Control panel has missing files..
    This is what i get when i go to properties of "my computer"
    [​IMG]
    A couple of missing Tabs.
    abri,thanks,i'll stay away from editing my registry next time.

5. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

Did you back up the registry BEFORE you altered it...if so, restore from there!
    If not you are probably going to need to format.

Reset automatic updates to 'notify me first', then as they come in, uncheck the boxes for WGA and only download the important ones.

Regards

6. NickAyllen

NickAyllen Private E-2

I never thought it was going to lead to something that nasty so i didn't back up anything..
    Is there a way to repair the missing files using XP original disc?

7. nitecrawler

nitecrawler Guest

You could try a repair install....thus saving your data.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2006
  8. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

9. NickAyllen

NickAyllen Private E-2

ok..the repair function didn't work either.
    I added a new boot.ini but i guess the problem is beyond that,so i'll have to format.

10. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

In future, you might try Erunt 1.1j
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download1267.html

11. NickAyllen

NickAyllen Private E-2

I'm about to install Windows XP Media Center.
    Can i install it over my damaged windows xp professional? or it dosen't overwrite previously installed Operating systems?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds