Windows gets stuck in shutdown, explorer crashes when viewing certain folders

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cosla, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Cosla

Cosla Private E-2

On most occasions when i select shutdown windows will not shutdown, it will end any applications running, but will not shutdown it will just stay at the desktop, so i have to turn the computer of manually. This occurs even if there is no applications open. Also when i open up certain folders on my hdd explorer crashes, i have checked up the issue at the microsoft website and it was suggested it might be a virus, however the microsoft removal tool found that my system was clean. I installed SP2, but that had no effect, all it did was stop me from being able to sign into MSN, even after being configured

System
    Windows XP Pro
    Version 2002
    SP2 Installed
    Norton Internet Security 2005

Amd Athlon XP 2600+
    1.00 GB Ram

2. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Did this machine come with XP or did you install it? More importantly how long have you had this problem, right after a clean install, a short while later or a long while later?
    Also have you done any kind of tweaking at all?

Are you using the 'Hibernate' feature?
    Start > Control Panel > Display > Screensaver > Power > Hibernate Enabling that option alone or with some sort of a registry tweak to shutdown Windows do cause problems similar to yours.

Certain windows causing a crash when viewed could be related to something else.
    To be certain that it is not caused by some sort of a malicious software you might want to check out this sticky and go thru the outlined steps carefully.

~TL :cool:

3. Cosla

Cosla Private E-2

I installed XP and it has been on the machine for a fair while, approaching two years. I did do some tweaking, but i made sure that i backuped the registery etc, and i restored all the original settings. Is there any appz that can restore default windows settings, maybe that might fix the issue???

4. Ravenspeed

Ravenspeed Private E-2

are the folders it crashes on the same every time?

Do the folders contain video?

If it contains video is you view for that folder set to thumbnail?

5. Cosla

Cosla Private E-2

Sorry for the late reply, yeh the folder contains video, and the view is in thumbnails, do you have a remedy for this?

6. Ravenspeed

Ravenspeed Private E-2

What i would sugest is to open a window without video in it click view at the top of the screen then select either tiles or icons (this only applies to the folder you are looking at so read on)

once you have set your view to icons or tiles click tools at the top of the screen then folder options then at the sop of the screen then select the tab named view....at this point click the apply to all folders button the click apply and ok then goto the the folder with video in....i hope this solves your problem, it sounds like one of the videos maybe incomplete causing the thumbnail to crash the window......good luck !!!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds