Windows has shutdown to prevent further damage

Discussion in 'Software' started by ThrobbingBrain66, Jan 22, 2007.

1. ThrobbingBrain66

ThrobbingBrain66 Private E-2

I walked into my girlfriend's room this morning and a blue screen with that message at the top. I'm a Linux guy, and when I did run Windows, I had never seen this screen. Anyway, I copied down the Technical Info it gave me:

Code:
    ***STOP: 0x0000007E (0x0000005, 0xB9939B82, 0xF7A57B30, 0xF7A57, 782c)
    rt2500usb.sys - Address B9939B82 base at B9932000, DateStamp 425cd8e1
    Beginning dump of physical memory
    She has a Compaq computer running XP. She only had it for about a year and has recently been having random troubles with it. The 'rt2500usb.sys' kind of leads me to believe that something is up with the usb, but that cant take down a whole computer can it?

I should also mention that I took a look at her case and the fans and vents are all caked with dust, which leads me to believe that she is just overheating.

If you need more info, just ask. Thanks!

2. AMH

AMH Private E-2

3. AMH

AMH Private E-2

P.S. Clean up her box!

4. ThrobbingBrain66

ThrobbingBrain66 Private E-2

Hey, let's keep this clean for the kids...

Anyway, I did give it a good dusting already.:)

5. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I know that the file 'rt2500usb.sys' is usually a driver for a Ralink based wireless internet adapter. Do you have a wireless adapter in the USB port? If you don't, the file may be malware. I did a Yahoo search and the first few hits suggested malware; and I know from experience that 'rt2500' files are Ralink wireless drivers. The USB WLAN adapter may not be branded Ralink (and probably isn't): MANY companies use Ralink wireless chips in their products.....

hopperdave2000

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds