windows illegal

Discussion in 'Software' started by leavesrgolden, Jan 19, 2007.

1. leavesrgolden

leavesrgolden Private E-2

I bought this computer from a friend. Now I know that the windows on here is valid. Because I was with them when they bought the thing and they never had any problems with this. Now when I turn the computer on it says that my windows is not legal. What is wrong here?

2. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Short Answer: Is contact MS with the receipt that your friend had and should have given you, plus the code #, and you should have no problems. More than likely your friend downloaded his copy of Windows to another machine and registered it with the above:cry :mad

3. leavesrgolden

leavesrgolden Private E-2

The product key does not match the one on the machine and no they did not download it to another machine.

4. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

I have read an article whereby a guy had this problem and he had a GENUINE XP and after contacting M$ they agreed with him that the OS was genuine but demanded $35 to remove the warning lol he threatend them with legal action over placing malware in his computer.. M$ backed down and gave him the software to remove it. So as BC says contact M$. and yes Microsoft do make mistakes :D

5. Novus Natio

Novus Natio Private E-2

how the hell are you going to charge someone to fix your own mistake? WHERES THE REACH AROUND MICROSOFT??????????

6. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Unless your friend gave you the genuine MS CD when he sold you the computer, your installation could be illegal. :eek:

Maybe he installed it on HIS new computer, by keeping the original CD, therefore yours is illegal, no matter what your friend did, or said.

2 PC's installed---- I MS genuine CD === 1 illegal installation. :cry :p Bazza

===

7. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I think the rule is: one product key per PC. If the same product key is on 2 PC's, you may have trouble. Another common reason the 'illegal' warning comes up is using a 'volume license' copy of Windows. Unless paid for legitimately (like by a corporation), the volume license XP's are not legal and cannot be updated. If your product key starts with FCKGW you have a pirated copy of a volume licensed XP on your PC. The most commonly bootlegged XP has this product key. I work in a PC store and see this product key on PC's that have the same problem as you have. And I see it ALOT!!! All we can do about it is sell the customer a legal version of Windows with their own unique product key and tell them to NOT SHARE THE CD OR PRODUCT KEY! But nobody ever listens...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds