Windows install/recovery partition

Discussion in 'Software' started by xratedsoldier, Dec 31, 2008.

1. xratedsoldier

xratedsoldier Private E-2

I have a friend that has a "Newish" laptop. As most of you probably know HP doesn't send out the re-install disks any more. They put the re-install on a partition on the HDD. this guy wants to create a backup disk of that partition...just in case his HDD does fail someday. when trying to do the backup, he recieves a .DLL error. Says that it is missing or is unreadable. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions that I can give him? Thanks.

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Exact DLL file that is missing as well as OS involved would be helpful! It would also be nice to know how he is attempting the backup. :)

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Model of HP would also help.

4. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

"You can try making recovery disks if you have not already done that.

To begin, click Start, then All Programs. If you have an HP Pavilion click Hewlett-Packard and then HP PC Recovery CD Creator. If not, try clicking PC Help & Tools, then HP CD Recovery CD-DVD Creator to start the program.

You will see a welcome screen. Click the Continue button on each screen to start the disc creator. You will see how many disks are necessary to create the HP recovery disks. Label them, so you do not get confused after each burn.

The disk will burn, verify data, then eject each CD when complete. When the process is complete, you should have a working set of HP restore disks.

You will not be able to create another set, so if you lose or damage these disks, you'll need to contact HP for a replacement.

5. WINGO

WINGO Private E-2

I had a set and misplaced them, but found a possible workaround.

The HP Recovery Disc Creator does create 1 set once only. However, for people that live outside the US or simply cannot get access to the Recovery Disks. It is possible to recreate a new set.

When a set of Recovery disks are created, a file log is kept on the Recovery and HDD partitions.

The file is usually HPCD.SYS, depending on the HP model. The files are read only system hidden files that are not displayed with Windows Explorer or many other programs.

Firstly, Windows Explorer will not display ALLSYSTEM files even though you have selected Show All. I'm sure they don't want novices to access all files just in case

This is bcoz of File Attributes. The File Attributes determine whether one can read/write/del or even view.

To VIEW/DELETE these "hidden" files is to use the Command Prompt - a slim down DOS enviroment.

I recall my DOS years, where I did everything plus more in DOS and XTREEGOLD. Man, I learnt alot!

----
    To find the hidden HPCD.SYS files in the RECOVERY partition and HDD is to:

1. Access Command Prompt
    2. D:
    3. DIR /AH - This displays ALL files with Hidden Attributes.
    You should see the HPCD.SYS file.
    4. Next you have to remove the Read Only System and Hidden Attributes in
    order to delete.
    5. type ATTRIB -R -A -S -H HPCD.SYS (This removes the required attributes
    so you can delete or make changes.)
    6. DEL HPCD.SYS

HARD DRIVE HPCD.SYS is the same.

1. C:
    2. CD WINDOWS\SMINST
    3. ATTRIB -R -A -S -H HPCD.SYS
    4. DEL HPCD.SYS

KACHOW! You should be able to sucessfully create a set of HP Recovery Disks! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds