Windows Installer constantly pops up

Discussion in 'Software' started by SuperT, Oct 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuperT

SuperT Private E-2

I'm having a problem with Windows Installer running constantly. It pops up for Internet Explorer, MS Office, & even when I try to add attachments to the forums on this site. I have it disabled right now, but it still pops up, it just closes faster, instead of sitting there for a few minutes.

Nothing specific seems to be installing while this runs, but it's kind of a pain in the you-know-what. I've already been thru the Malware side of this, run all the scans you guys recommended, and have been sent to Software. I've included a pic of this happening, for reference. Does anyone have any ideas for me?

Attached Files:

2. iwunderdownunder

iwunderdownunder First Sergeant

g,day SuperT

if you download and run the windows installer clean up utility found here " http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 ".only remove the installer for the program that is trying to be installed.
    i hope this helps you good luck.

3. SuperT

SuperT Private E-2

This solution would be great, except I don't think it's really installing anything. It never says what it's installing, just wastes a bunch of time.

4. Golfhacker

Golfhacker Private E-2

Thanks for the info it cleared up a windows installer problem I have had for months!!
    Thanks again Wayne

5. iwunderdownunder

iwunderdownunder First Sergeant

G'day SuperT

There is something else you can try,click on start then click on run then type in msiexec /unreg press enter,then once again click start then run and type in msiexec /regserver .
    see if this fixes the problem.

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

It doesn't matter if it's actually installing anything. The reason you're getting the error is because the installer is messed up for that particular program and it keeps launching itself. If you run the tool linked to above by iwunderdownunder, and select the program from the list provided, and click 'Remove', then restart your PC, the problem will (most likely) be solved. However, you may have to re-install the program responsible for the error.

7. SuperT

SuperT Private E-2

Yay! You guys are awesome! Thank you so much!!!!:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds