Windows installer damaged

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bad Panda, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Bad Panda

Bad Panda Private E-2

I have the same problem as several people have had. On two seperate computers (both Dells) I went through the malware steps and cleaned off multiple spywares. The logs were reviewed by Chaslang on one machine, and Tim did another. Anyway, roughly two days after the cleanup was completed the windows installer would pop up and attempt to install programs that were already installed.
    First, it started with Sonic. I thought something was wrong with sonic and used a 3rd party uninstaller to remove it...which it did successfully. Then ANOTHER program clicked on saying it needed to install. I did some searching and found multiple occurances of this have been reported in these forums, but no permanent solution has been suggested. Other than msconfig, disabling startup items. That is not a fix...just a bypass.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Bad Panda

2. Bad Panda

Bad Panda Private E-2

Mark,
    Thanks for your swift reply. I'll give these things a shot.
    The dial-a-fix sounds really interesting. I haven't used that particular utility before.
    Take it easy and have a good evening.
    Panda

3. Bad Panda

Bad Panda Private E-2

No change. These utilities have made no difference.
    I need some additional support here. Both of these computers had completely seperate issues; the only common thing done with them was that I went through the Malware Support steps. What could be done in those steps that could cause this to happen in two machines?

4. Bad Panda

Bad Panda Private E-2

I have an update. I used the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 and it has resolved the symptoms, but I am unsure of it clearing up the problem. Time will tell. I hope this utility will help anyone else running into this problem.
    Regards,
    Bad Panda

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds