windows installer disabled

Discussion in 'Software' started by jamie365, Apr 3, 2009.

1. jamie365

jamie365 Private E-2

Good afternoon.
    I have had some problems on startup for some time and have tried to install various programmes such as lavasoft adaware and SUPERAntiSpyware (the latter on the advice from Malware removal for windows XP (Home).

I get a message saying The Windows Installer Could not be accessed. I am not running in safe mode, and I have tried entering gpedit.msc into "run" but that simply says it's not recognised.

Can anyone advise?

James

2. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

Hi James - I had a similar problem in the past and I had to reinstall Windows Installer....here is a link that I hope will help you. I am also sure that someone with alot more knowledge than myself will step in and help you.....

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315346

KathyM

3. jamie365

jamie365 Private E-2

Thankyou this worked although I had to install version 4.5 of windows installer. I have now been able to install and run SUPERAntiSpyware. Still have some problems... printer no longer installed and message says Prin Spooler service is not running. However will proceed with the removal of Malware and come back to that!

4. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

Glad it worked out good.....after you have done the process of removing malware be sure to check in and let us know how you are doing.....KathyM

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds