windows installer/slow boot-up

Discussion in 'Software' started by frmarine, Nov 7, 2008.

1. frmarine

frmarine Private E-2

having problems with windows installer.different error msgs such as "error code 2755;setup wizard can't complete the install;pkg could'nt be opened,verify it exists, verify its a valid pkg" i've ran a few reg cleaners in the past couple of months, & i've since read that they can do more harm than good like deleting some files i that might pertain to corrupting the installer or something.i've tweaked some reg keys for performance, that i've reversed, but i don't think that's the problem.i was on the phone with a msoft tech yesterday & i unregistered/reregistered installer files & changed user permissions.after that this morning the boot-up time was about 15min.when i click on start or an icon it takes 4-5min. to come on.2 months ago i had the boot-up time down to 1-2min.i did a farstone restore back to oct 21 & it got better, but then i tried to go back further with the xp restore & it would'nt work. it's worked before. the farstone erase all the previous points, so now i'm screwed.i click, and it takes forever to do what i want now.i also tried to day the dial-fix on this site and redid the unreg/reg installer files and its worse now.THANX for your time/help if anyone can help.i'm lost.i never backed up files because i let the restore do it. i need to learn how.

2. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

First off, please, in further posts, use proper punctuation and indentation.
    Am I to understand that you have tried a wipe/reload of windows and it did not help?

3. iwunderdownunder

iwunderdownunder First Sergeant

gday frmarine it appears you may have cleaned and tweaked your computer a little to much??. have you tried to use the scan disk function to correct any errors in your windows components this may help sort some issues out first.worth a try

4. frmarine

frmarine Private E-2

thanx for the response. i was doing alot of typing on different forums, my fingers were tired. sorry for the bad punctuation. i never did a windows reload, i un-registered the windows installer, then re-registered it & changed permissions from methods that msoft had for windows installer problems. i did a farstone system restore to earlier in the day and it helped(got me back to xp working alot quicker). i tried to use the xp restore a few times to go back two months, but it would'nt work for some reason. i still can't install some programs, so there is still a problem with the installer. i was told the windows installer should be listed in the add/remove programs, but it's not. now i have another problem whereby i switched from xp menu to classic menu & now i can't switch back. in the display>appearance>windows & buttons dropdown, the xp menu is gone. all that's there is the classic windows style. i like the squared borders in the classic style, but unfortunately you can't change the colors of the start button/task bar. can't figure that one out. i've learned my lesson about reg cleaners & tweaking the registry. where & how do i use the scan disk? is that anything like the disk cleanup utility? i typed in "sfc.scannow" in the run box, but nothing happened. again, thanx for the replies.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  5. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

scandisk in now checkdisk. If you have Windows up, click on the start menu and select "run". Type in "cmd" and press enter. When the black windows comes up. Type in "chkdsk c: /r" and press enter. It will ask you if you want it to run on next boot, type in 'y' and press enter. NOTE: never include quote marks unless I say otherwise. At this point, restart your computer, and it should run a chkdsk.

You are wise to suggest a chkdsk, it is probably your best option at this point. Come back with any errors it generates and how many bad sectors it says you have at the end. Keep a close eye on it, as when it finishes it will soon disappear and finish booting windows.

6. iwunderdownunder

iwunderdownunder First Sergeant

gday again frmarine the information senlis is one good option for running the error check function that comes with xp.if you find you are have problems executing this function that way there is another path to take.firstly if you click on my computer then right click on local c drive from the pop down menu select properties, then in the dialog box that appears click on the tools tab.once in the tool section you will see the error check function click on check now, a small box will appear check both find and fix errors then click start. you will then be prompted that this service requires full access to your drive and to schedule it for next boot up, click on yes ,then reboot your computer. this function will take some time so put your feet up and have a cuppa.this function is not the same as disk clean up it is sort of a repair component of xp and should be tried before doing a repair install. now as for your windows installer problem may i suggest if you already haven't done so download and install the latest version of windows installer 4.5 you can get it from here " http://www.majorgeeks.com/download5969.html " this may help resolve the problems you are having in this area. also you may wish to download advanced system care 3 from here " http://www.majorgeeks.com/Advanced_SystemCare_3_d5927.html " . yes this is another windows repair tool but it gives you the opportunity to back up you system before you use it and it is a one click tool that covers a great deal.worth you looking into and its free.good luck !!

7. mjgtk

mjgtk Private E-2

8. frmarine

frmarine Private E-2

Re: windows installer problem

to senlis, iwunderdownunder, & mjgtk, Sorry i have'nt replied to all of you sooner. THANX for you replies. life's problems get in the way.hard times look like they're here to stay. anyway, i solved the one problem with one click about my start menu, but i still can't install certain apps because of the win installer. i tried to install the latest installer version, but after i extracted the files, it would'nt install, getting the same msg saying "pkg couldnt be opened, verify it exists, its a valid pkg, etc." i saw other installer files listed & already had the latest version from back in june from a windows update. the file is in here somewhere but can't be opened. i've read where others are saying that the installer resides on an encrypted volume & the file needs to be decrypted. i have no idea how to do that. my system is clean, no malware/spyware that's causing this. i think it got corrupted a 2-3 months ago somehow. possibly from the reg cleaners deleting certain files, who knows. the win installer is not listed in the add/remove programs where i was told it should be. to IWUNDERDOWNUNDER, thanx for the link for the app advanced system care. i have it installed and it's great. has alot of features i like. i tried to install the windows utility bootvis yesterday, and it would'nt install either getting the same "pkg couldnt be opened verify it's valid" msg. THANX again you guys for your time.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds