Windows Internet Explorer 8 not installing correctly

Discussion in 'Software' started by Diesel350, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Diesel350

Diesel350 Private E-2

Tried to install Windows Internet Explorer 8 on my machine with Windows XP and the installation looks to be fine and the system reboots but when I look for the Internet explorer icon on the desktop or start up menu it is not there. When I go into add remove programs I see that Internet Explorer 8 is installed but I cannot find it anywhere on my machine. Suggestions?

2. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Tried to install Windows Internet Explorer 8 on my machine with Windows XP and the installation looks to be fine and the system reboots but when I look for the Internet explorer icon on the desktop or start up menu it is not there. When I go into add remove programs I see that Internet Explorer 8 is installed but I cannot find it anywhere on my machine. Suggestions? Diesel350<<

Hello there Diesel350,

My first suggestion would be to go to the following Microsoft webpage link: MSKB Article ID: 945402 - The Internet Explorer icon is missing from your desktop

Also, if that MSKB Article does not help, try the very easy instructions at this link: Add Internet Explorer Icon to Windows XP or Vista Desktop (via howtogeek.com)

Good Luck! -- COMP

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Internet Explorer is in the list of all programs but it is located AFTER all the programs with folder icons.
    Location C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    is where you find the familiar "e" icon.

You can also go to start/run and in the run box type
    Code:
    iexplore.exe
    That will start the browser.

4. Blueone

Blueone Corporal

I tried 8 for a while but went back to 7 and am glad I did. Maybe they have worked the bugs out by now but I would stick to 7 if using IE. I use Firefox 11 BTW and like it much more than IE.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds