Windows is unable to find system volume sufficient enough

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Generictrap, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Generictrap

Generictrap Private E-2

I recently bought a desktop from tiger direct. It was missing a hdd, so I bought a 1tb Seagate. After plugging I up and t ring it on, I learned I have to install Windows. The desktop came with a windows Vista business product key. I made a windows Vista bookable flash drive. The only way for the contents to boot is if I boot using the flash drive as first priority over the hdd. A couple pages later, it says I have insufficient volume. I've read this has to do with booting from a flash drive, but I know no other way to install Windows. Can someone help?
    Booting from the hdd just gives me a black screen with blinking command underscore.

2. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Welcome to MG!
    As you said you need to install Windows. Making a bootable USB drive is not the same as making an install disc. If at all possible I would take the standard route and get a Windows 7 CD, boot it and install. This is a much easier path and will give you a supported OS.
    The insufficient volume error is because Windows is trying to install on the flash drive.

3. Generictrap

Generictrap Private E-2

Are you telling me that I can't install Windows Vista via USB? If so, how am I to go about getting an install CD , and would I be able to go from Windows 7 to Vista after that installation route?

4. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Does the computer have an optical drive? or is it a netbook which doesn't?

5. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

If you need an O/S, any O/S, you might try Linux.
    It is free, and quite easy to install

If you do not want it on your hard disk, install to a USB flask/pen drive.

I give just a couple of websites which help you might get it -
    http://linux.co.uk/pages/usb-key/ (and see DISTROS in the top line menu)
    http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php - you might need instructions as to install this one as it seems to be download only, try elsewhere on this site
    Sorry I cannot the webpage the webpage I did it from a couple of years back, probably taken down or evolved beyond recognition - I installed Linux Mint 15 with Mate desktop (download ISO from the second link) as per instructions I found on www.linuxpendrive. com I think and using UUI) .
    -if you search on the internet there are lots of sites. www.linux.com

On the other hand you may prefer to go for a direct installation of Windows
    You might choose to contact MS and explain you situation to them, and perhaps, perhaps they might just facilitate an installation, either by giving you access to an authorised download or sending you CDs. Be prepared to assure them (show that) the same copy of Windows is NOT running elsewhere. I seem to remember that you can download Windows directly if you have product key, but I might be wrong. see here - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windowsvista/f/download-windows-vista.htm (I assume it's a key for Vista) and links therein.

Dumb_Question
    21.April.2015

6. Generictrap

Generictrap Private E-2

Would like to update you all. After extensive research on the issue, calling ms support and chatting with three different representatives (all of which said they could do nothing or it was a manufacturer issue), I found a guide that revealed the solution. The hdd had been partitioned and the guide advised deleting all previous partitions. So, I gave it a whirl and it worked fine.

Lesson to learn, always delete the partition or drive that shows up when asked where you want to install Windows.

7. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

Gratzz on conquering the problem.
    No, I was not saying you cannot install from a USB, just that if that method of installing gives you trouble the DVD install may not.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds