Windows Keeps Crashing

Discussion in 'Software' started by KauaiSis, May 25, 2014.

1. KauaiSis

KauaiSis Private E-2

I'm rushing to submit this before it happens again. My computer keeps crashing for the past two days. Yesterday I did a system restore to May 9th and it seemed better. We were able to use the computer normally all night. Then today it's back to crashing again.

Running Windows 7 on an HP model p6213w Pentium R Dual Core E5300 @2.60GHz 6.0 GB RAM 64 bit operating system

Here's one of the reports:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 3b
    BCP1: 00000000C0000005
    BCP2: FFFFF9600012F6EA
    BCP3: FFFFF8800772C0C0
    BCP4: 0000000000000000
    OS Version: 6_1_7601
    Service Pack: 1_0
    Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\052414-19234-01.dmp
    C:\Users\Coto\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-61152-0.sysdata.xml

Thanks!

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

How old is the hard drive, and have you done any hardware diagnostics?

3. KauaiSis

KauaiSis Private E-2

I apologize, but I can't even figure out how old this computer is! I believe we've had it from late 2010 or early 2011. And no I haven't done any diagnostics. How do I do that? I'm one of those clueless users, sorry.

4. KauaiSis

KauaiSis Private E-2

I've been using the computer for 4 hours now without incident...so strange. Same thing yesterday...it was restarting over and over and then it worked continuously for several hours at night. We'll see if it happens again tomorrow too. At first I thought it was the battery back-up...but it happened even after I disconnected from the battery, using a surge protector instead.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

If you get the BSOD again then please do attach the minidump file and instructions on HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post (may need to zip the file as they can be large) or just post the BSOD code and message.

If this is a new issue as you say last few days, then have you installed anything new on the laptop and if so what?

6. KauaiSis

KauaiSis Private E-2

Hi and thanks for the reply,

Maybe I shouldn't say Windows keeps crashing. It might be my computer just keeps turning off suddenly. It's happening again this morning. Seems to be a pattern of problems during the day and then fine at night. This is the third day of this "pattern."

I did a system restore plus removed new installations (there was only the Adobe Flash basically that was new within the week).

I ran Avast scan and Malware Bytes and quarantined some threats.

This is happening on my desktop computer and this morning it was turning off so much I'm giving it a rest and using a laptop. As I said above, the computer is only 3-4 years old.

I'll do as you suggest and look for that dump file, although I didn't get that today as it would turn off suddenly and not even go through that "creating dump file" step.

But why would this happen during the day and then suddenly work at night after a series of these incidents? Without my doing anything that seemed to be a fix? Could it be something to do with the computer behaving differently after "warming up"?

7. KauaiSis

KauaiSis Private E-2

Here are two different instances and three dump files are attached.

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
    BCP2: FFFFF9600012F6EA
    BCP3: FFFFF8800772C0C0

C:\Windows\Minidump\052414-19234-01.dmp

BCP2: FFFFF80002F86C2F
    BCP3: FFFFF88007567CF0

C:\Windows\Minidump\052514-19765-01.dmp

8. KauaiSis

KauaiSis Private E-2

Not sure if the files were sent...trying again.

Attached Files:

9. KauaiSis

KauaiSis Private E-2

Once again, the computer is staying on at night. This is a baffling pattern: turning off over and over during the day...then staying on normally at night. I don't think it's a heat issue since it turns off almost as soon as I turn it on in the morning before it gets heated up or used.

10. KauaiSis

KauaiSis Private E-2

Update: I've been using my computer despite the occasional blue screens, but the latest development happened 2 days ago. Suddenly I was unable to connect to the internet. After trying different solutions, I called the DSL provider and she spent quite a while trying to help me. Finally she said she sees on a forum that many people are having problems with HP and Realtek PCIeGBE Family Controller and basically my problem is not fixable because the Network Adapter on the motherboard is broken!

The message I get is that "Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration.

So is she right? Any comments?

I'm thinking of ordering a refurbished Dell computer from Walmart for $225 with a 3 year warranty. Probably cheaper than trying to get this one fixed. I finally found my receipt and it's 4.5 years old! I thought it was only 3 years old. Time flies!

Thanks to all

11. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

12. KauaiSis

KauaiSis Private E-2

Thanks for the reply, plodr. I may have to do that because after spending hours trying to decide whether or not to order the refurbished Dell from Walmart.com, I was finally ready to order....only to find while checking out that they won't ship to Hawaii!! So disappointed.

The ethernet card won't solve my blue screen issues, though, but a temporary solution.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds