Windows Live Mail version update, apparently not automatic

Discussion in 'Software' started by usafveteran, Apr 29, 2011.

1. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I am using WLM with Windows 7. If I click on Help, About, I see version 2009. But, the latest version is 2011. I've seen comments in other discussion threads advising users to get the latest version for optimum email security. So, it seems odd that Windows Updates does not bring in an update to WLM. Any thoughts ...?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Correct, I'm not getting any update for Windows Live Essentials. The components of Windows Live Essentials that I have installed are Windows Live Mail, Windows Live Movie Maker, Windows Live Photo Gallery, and Windows Live Writer.

After reading some of the negative user comments posted on the above link, I'm hesitant to update to the 2011 version.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi usaf

Weird its not prompting an update via WU, but iirc did the original install ask you if you wanted to add this to WU as its updater like Office does? what is your choice options in Windows Update > Change Settings?

Most of the comments are to Movie Maker but you could just grab WLM 2011 HERE I've not had any issue with it so far, I custom install the Live Essentials as I dont need some of them so dont have Movie Maker installed, do have Gallery and Writer (I blog so use writer)

5. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

There's a difference between Windows Update and Microsoft Update; there's a checkbox somewhere "also check for updates to other Microsoft products" or suchlike, I've seen it when first setting Windows Updates. I think the equivalent is also listed in the left panel in the main Windows Update box if you open WU manually from the Start menu > All programs (like David's Windows Update > Change Settings).

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Yeah its the "Give me updates for Microsoft Products......" indeed that I was after knowing if it was ticked or not, but a re-install of Live Essentials could cure this also, personally I'd do a custom install as the LE pack as alot of things you dont need at your PC level Usaf.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds