Windows mail will not show message body

Discussion in 'Software' started by eaglestar3, Jul 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eaglestar3

eaglestar3 Private E-2

Windows Mail suddenly stopped showing message text in the message preview pane, in the open message window and in the compose message window. headers display normally. As far as we can tell, everything else is working properly. The computer was turned on but idle. Mail worked properly until my wife went to bed. The next morning, she could not see the body of any message. Nothing was changed (by us) between the last time it worked and when it stopped. Nonetheless, I restored to a point a couple of days prior, to no avail. We had a similar problem with OE6 on one of our XP machines, which was never resolved.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What is your Antivirus software and does it have an email scanning component? if so disable it and try again after a reboot to see if the text body comes up.

Some Antivirus applications are not compatible fully with various email apps and while you may have not changed anything your AV may have updated automatically and thats a change.

Also try booting in Safe Mode (F8 at boot choose Safe Mode with Networking) and then see if the message body text shows?

3. eaglestar3

eaglestar3 Private E-2

I already turned off AVG email scanning, based on responses to other WM problem posts. We had switched to AVG when McAfee's ISP cobranded suite refused to operate.

Safe Mode boot makes no difference.

As far as automatic updates, one of the first things I did was restore to a point when WM was working properly.

Is there a reasonable way to reinstall WM. I can't find anything through MS (their site is even more useless than their help screens). I recall that OE had to ride in on IE.

BTW, I can't edit my post -- no EDIT button! I wanted to add system info:

Acer Aspire X1200 running Home Premium 64 on 4GB RAM. Protection is AVG 8.5.392 free version

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

You could to a check with sfc /scannow (needs to be run from an elevated command prompt, click Start and in the Start Search box type cmd, then when cmd shows in the list right click and Run As Administrator then type in the sfc /scannow command nad hot enter, may need Vista DVD)

It could also be a corrupt database so try this and repair the WM database http://www.oehelp.com/WMUtil/

But to be honest Windows Mail was not a great email app anyway and has been discontinued in any updates, the newer option is Windows Live Mail and is far more superiour to Windows Mail, I tend to use Windows Live Mail.

5. eaglestar3

eaglestar3 Private E-2

OK. WMUtil did not help. scannow reported several corrupt files it could not fix and referred to the CBS log. Atempts to open the log yield Access Denied.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds