Windows ME Boot Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bper, Apr 21, 2005.

1. bper

bper Corporal

Hi,

I originally posted this to the Spyware Forum, then to the Software, now I'm at Hardware.

The history is this. I'm running Win ME on a P4 processor with 128 M Ram. Initially the problem was that the system stayed at the Windows ME screen for about 5 mins. before booting to the desktop. In safe mode, the machine booted up right away. When selecting Selective Boot, only when I load all Windows drivers do I see the delayed boot.

The software forum pointed me to a Microsoft site page which suggested that I should disable devices in the device manager and enable them one at a time to determine what could be causing the problem.

I disabled the devices, and the problem seemed to go away. But now, I can't enable the Floppy disk or Hard disk controllers. They all have the yellow exclamation point. When I attempt to update the drivers, Windows says that I'm already using the best driver for the device. I tried disconnecting the drive from the motherboard and restarting, and I still can't get the yellow exclamation points to go away.

If I start in safe mode, windows seems to see the drives, but the CD drive is not visible in Windows explorer.

Please help. Any ideas?

2. nicetime

nicetime Private E-2

solution...

back up.... reformat drive.... and install ANYTHING besides WINDOWS ME

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds