Windows ME "HELP & SUPPORT" Error Message

Discussion in 'Software' started by msahib, Mar 18, 2004.

1. msahib

msahib Private E-2

I wanted to use the Microsoft Help and Support to read about "Using digital audio & digital video". To do that, I clicked START, HELP and I typed the word AUDIO and got the help page. Then clicked on "Using digital audio & digital video".

Using digital audio and digital video

With Windows, you can view streaming data—including digital audio, DVD, or broadcast PC—on your computer. To use streaming devices, your computer must support USB or IEEE 1394.

Related Topics

When I clicked on "streaming", it doesn't open, but instead, I got the following:
    I get the following error message: "INTERNET EXPLORER SCRIPT ERROR.
    An error has appeared on the script on this page.
    Line : 462
    Char: 9
    Error: "Object doesn't support this property or method"
    Code: 0
    URL: ms-its:C:\WINDOWS\help\windows.chm::/app_dadvd.htm

Do you want to continue running scripts on this page?
    YES NO"

Clicking on either option (YES) or (NO) makes no difference, i.e. the error
    message disappears, but the page does not open.

I have tried the following: Re-installed Windows ME, reinstalled Internet Explorer 5.5, uninstalled Dell Help and reinstalled the same, uninstalled Ad-stopper, Zone Alarm and disabled virus scanner. Uninstalled Windows Media player 9 and reinstalled version 7.1.

Please anyone HELP!!!!!!!

2. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

First of all go to Tools/InternetOptions/Advanced/ under Browsing make sure that "Display a notification about every script error is unchecked."
    As far as streaming it does not open in another window it is a popup explanation on streaming showing Quote" Streaming is a technique for delivering content to your desktop in a continuous flow. This flow, or stream, allows you to begin viewing content immediately, before the entire file has been transmitted."

3. Boccemon

Boccemon First Sergeant

Thanks JuJet84

I've had a similar problem FOREVER and this worked peachy!! Thanks again.

4. msahib

msahib Private E-2

Thanks JUJET, but the item you have mentioned has been unchecked and I am still getting the error message. It only happens when I am trying to use Microsoft's HELP & SUPPORT! Any other suggestions will be most welcome!

5. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

In the same place as jujet mentioned, you might make sure there is a check for "Disable script debugging"

6. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

Ya beat me to it Alanc thanks :)

7. msahib

msahib Private E-2

Many thanks to JUJET and ALANC; despite doing what you have suggested, I am still getting the same error message. Interestingly, I am getting this message only when I try the Microsoft "Help and Support" which I access by clicking START, HELP and then certain help topics which are underlined ('clickable') to open. I don't get it when surfing - or at least I haven't encountered this problem yet.

8. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

If you still get the script or runtime error messages after disabling them in Internet Explorer, the problem might be that you have some unwanted spyware or adware installed on your computer.
    What are you using for virus and trojan control?

9. msahib

msahib Private E-2

Dear Jujet

I am using Zone Alarm, but I have been using it for a long time and didn't have this problem before.

10. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

NO...... I don't meaan your firewalll,what do you use for Virus and Trojan defence.Example do you use Norton,AVG,etc.Do you have Spybot and Adware installed.. :cool:

11. msahib

msahib Private E-2

Dear Jujet

I am sorry, I use Computer Associates EZ-antivirus and Yahoo Pop-up jammer. Again, neither of them had caused this problem in the past.

12. highly_volatile

highly_volatile Private First Class

13. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

Good choice on using E-Trust.I did some digging and I've come to the conclusion the site is no longer available,or under another name.
    Reason I'm using Browser Mozilla ID 2004041809 and when I tap on "Related Topics" Quote
    Using digital audio and digital video

With Windows, you can view streaming data—including digital audio, DVD, or broadcast PC—on your computer. To use streaming devices, your computer must support USB or IEEE 1394.