Windows Media Center Extender - Stopped Working

Discussion in 'Software' started by Layzie Bone, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Layzie Bone

Layzie Bone Private E-2

A little background info:

I initially had some trouble getting MCE to work, consisted of changing the MTU size in the registry which appeared was the original problem 6 months ago.

Here's the thread I referred to back then:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=51943

So over the past 6 months it's been working like a charm, everyday.

Nothing network, software has really changed. Same router, same switch, nothing was changed. A few reboots here and there (a couple power outages that outlasted the UPS). So a couple days ago it stops working.

So trying find out what in windows has broken this time I attempted to re-connect my Xbox 360 to my computer via Windows Media Center. I deleted the profile from within Media Center & Xbox, and I'm getting the same error that I got 6 months ago.

"Cannot Setup Extender. Setup failed because your extender is unable to connect to this computer. The issue might be caused by a configuration problem with your network or firewall"

So here's what I'm 99.9% sure it's not. It's not upnp (common problems with this error as well) on my router. It's not 3rd party firewall or AV software, using Windows Firewall and Windows Media Extender is in the exceptions under the correct network location. Those seemed to be the top 2 things that seem to come with this error.

Here's some info regarding my setup:

Computer runs Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, 16 GB RAM, SSD, plenty of space, GTS 250 graphics card. There is a lot of software on this machine, haven't tried a clean boot at the time of this post (have tried a regular reboot), so there is a slight possibility that something else could be causing trouble here. [I'm betting that clean boot wont solve the problem]

I'm on FTTX for internet which plugs straight into my netgear wdnr3700 router and from there branches off to a rosewill 8-port giga switch (rc-410x). My PC and Xbox are connected to the same switch via ethernet. This setup has been working has the topology has not changed, no resets nothing of that sort.

I also have looked in the even logs, did not find any logging of the error during the attempt to reconnect, or any errors for that matter concerning MCE at all, just records of showing the MCE service starting/stopping from recordings.

Any thoughts, wisdom or your personal experience with Windows Media Center Extenders is greatly appreciated.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds