Windows Media Player 12 Pictures Have Vertical Lines Or Bars

Discussion in 'Software' started by tritonobx, Feb 1, 2016.

1. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

Windows 7 Home Premium, Dell Optiplex desktop, older Dell flat monitor. All pictures render correctly from pictures folder or Windows photo viewer, but in WMP 12, many pics, not all, have some pale or somewhat transparent pink or red vertical lines or bars with the image. I have been unable to find any direct reference to this issue, and find no settings in the player that might fix this.

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Could you upload a screenshot?

3. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

I acquired this refurbished Optiplex in early January. The first time I opened WMP, the problem was there with many of the photos. These same photo files always rendered perfectly in WMP 11 on the old XP Dell from which they were migrated. All typical jpeg files. Some of the interference is stark, some less so. Thanks for looking. 1.jpg 2.jpg

4. Eldon

I just checked a couple of jpeg images in WMP 12 and they all rendered perfectly.
    Do you have DirectX June 2010 installed? It's an update.

5. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

I went to the DirectX diag tool, it says version 11.

6. Eldon

7. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

I ran the download and had all these cabinet files and the DirectX setup file extracted to the Documents folder...do I simply run the setup file?, then what to do with the cabinet files? Or is it installed already? Restart too?

8. Eldon

Run the setup file and restart whether your prompted or not.
    Then you can deleted all those files.

9. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

I installed the update, restarted, but the photos didn't change. I checked out all the WMP online help pages for something, but similar issues were mostly about videos and dvd.

10. Eldon

I cannot find any info about this problem.
    Sorry.

11. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

Would turning off and turning back on WMP from Windows features/media features in the control panel help. I don't want to stir anything up b/t wmp and windows media center.

12. Eldon

I doubt that will 'fix' WMP. But it's worth a try. You wont mess up anything.
    I would just not use WMP to view images - it's very limited.

13. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Is WMP the default app to view photos?
    We have an old Optiplex in the house, 745, and it came with a Jasc Photo viewer.
    Look over the programs and see if something is fighting with WMP that might be causing the problem.

You can also try IrfanView portable and see if the images display properly with that.
    http://portableapps.com/apps/graphics_pictures/irfanview_portable

14. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

Thanks for the tip. The default viewer on this pc is the windows photo viewer, I simply view the pics on occasion in WMP. The machine includes all the Windows live stuff including live photo gallery but I've never opened or activated or set up any WL options. Interesting you mention Jasc, my old XP machine included that software. I'll consider Irfran portable and post back later.

15. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

I tried Irfran and all the pics render as expected, same as Windows photo viewer. Issue seems to be solely in WMP 12.

16. Eldon

This is very strange.
    Check if perhaps there are other plugins installed in WMP.
    Click on each Category.
    WMP Plugins.jpg

17. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

My options window is the same as your upload. Only visualizations and background click to show the visuals or the checkbox for WLM plugin, which I've unchecked. No other plug-ins.

18. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

I have a new unused Gateway widescreen monitor I could connect and see how WMP12 renders the photos. Could this old Dell E177FP flat screen be suspect?

19. Eldon

I'm truly out of possible solutions.
    BTW Does Windows Media Center render the images correctly?
    Give it a try.

20. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

I haven't yet tried the media center. I'll open it and also hook up the Gateway and repost here in a day or two. Thanks for the assistance thus far.

21. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

I was able to suppress this interference by experimenting with different screen resolutions, though not entirely. Given that Irfran is now installed, and with the newer monitor available, I can manage the issue and suspend the inquiry. Thanks for the feedback.

22. tritonobx

tritonobx Staff Sergeant

Resolved once and for all! Using Driver Booster to update pc's drivers across the board, the issue was totally fixed in WMP.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds