Windows Media Player behaving strangely

Discussion in 'Software' started by Scooter McGraw, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Scooter McGraw

Scooter McGraw Private E-2

For some reason, WMP plays mpegs and avi's upside down!! It's strange because in the preview pane it is the right way up.
    I have trawled through the options and can't find one giving me the choice of which way up to play it, so cannot rectify it.

I have WM Classic installed, and VLC (neither of which I rate too highly and will remove once WMP gets it's act together), so it is a mystery to me.

If it's not one thing it's another!!

Anyone else ever suffered from this and know the cure?

Thanks

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Go to WMP's Tools:Options menu dialog, go to Performance, Advanced, and uncheck use video mixing renderer ans see if that fizes it.

3. Scooter McGraw

No luck!

I unchecked both of the options you described (there is one for video and one for DVD) but still no joy. :confused:

I may have to e-mail microsoft and wait 4 years for the reply!

4. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

hi, i had this problem, i uninstalled my wmp9 and then re-installed also i installed the wmp9 codecs, i don't know why but this fixed the avi problem (only on the right click/choose option) but not the mpeg, i set my wmp9 to open only mpeg and this then fixed that problem, all my other files open with nero showtime, hope this helps a bit.
    you could always try this

http://www.divx.com/

my os is w2k sp4 and only supports up to wmp9

5. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

forgot to mention i already submited a thread on this issue :)

6. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

I've seen this before somewhere, I think I fixed it by uninstalling the Div-x codec and reinstalling the latest. Also do the same for x-vid.

from the x-vid site..

7. Scooter McGraw

I've seen this before somewhere, I think I fixed it by uninstalling the Div-x codec and reinstalling the latest. Also do the same for x-vid.

from the x-vid site..

Quote:
    If you don't already have the latest version of the XviD codec installed, make sure to upgrade before trying any of these suggestions. We recommend uninstalling all previous versions of the XviD codec before you upgrade to avoid possible conflicts with the new version of the codec.

If the video still plays upside-down or mirrored after upgrading, it's likely that you have some conflicting DirectShow filter(s) installed that are flipping the video. The two most common filters that cause these type of problems are the Bicubic Resize filter (bicubic_resizer.ax) and the G400 filter (divxg400.ax). To check if any of these filters are installed, simply look for the files in your C:\Windows\System32 directory (on the drive where Windows is installed). If you find any of these filters installed, simply goto the Start menu in Windows and select "Run...", then enter "regsvr32 /u filename.ax" in the box and click the OK button to unregister the filter.

Another way to fix the problem is to simply reconfigure the XviD codec to flip the video. To do this, goto the Start menu in Windows and select "Run...", then enter "rundll32.exe xvid.ax,Configure" into the box and click the OK button to launch the XviD Configuration tool. Try to change the "Flip video" option and see if it fixes the problem.

Mate

I tried both those run commands and nothing happened. I have upgraded to WMP10, and it still happens. It happens on the DivX player too.

Can I just use windows explorer to find those codecs and delete them?

I tried to uninstall WMP and re-install it, but there is no uninstaller. I tried to wipe it out of my program files as well, but it wasn't having any of it.

It's a real bind I can tell you!

8. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

YOu probably could manually delete them but I am not sure where they reside. Im sure they should be in add remove programs though.

IS there no Entry in Add/Remove programs for Div-X or X-Vid ?

You could try using Your Uninstaller! 2006 5.0.0.235 to uninstall them

9. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Q: Why does my content play upside down?
    A: In some cases, the DivXG400 filter (used to work around a Matrox G440/G550 driver bug where they require output widths to be a multiple of 16) will invert playback of at least MPEG files - you may wish to uninstall that if you're getting inverted playback.
    In some cases, go to WMP's Tools:Options menu dialog, go to Performance, Advanced, and uncheck use video mixing renderer (per Willboy).

If none of that is helpful, go here for more ideas.

This at almost the end of the page (everything you ever wanted to know about wmp ...)http://zachd.com/pss/pss.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds