Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound

Discussion in 'Software' started by saiyan_girl, Jun 24, 2008.

1. saiyan_girl

saiyan_girl Private E-2

everyone here seems to be having sound problems...

I've went through other threads, but none seem to match my problem, if there is something similar to me, i would be glad to redirect. anyway, i tried playing something in wmp because i noticed that all of a sudden i can't hear anything in youtube. I started and it said:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly.

However, when I turn on the computer i can hear the start up noise...

I went in control panel, and when I press "sound and speech audio devices" it sais that i have no audio device...
    o.0

I'm so sad... what is there to do?
    is it a virus?
    >_<

2. saiyan_girl

saiyan_girl Private E-2

Re: Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your so

btw, there is NO sound I can play. I tried VLC, and winamp and real player, and of course the internet, none of them produce any sound for me...

and it worked just fine a couple hours ago! :(

3. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Re: Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your so

Post a make and model # if your PC is manufactured (Dell, Gateway, HP, etc.) or your motherboard ID, if it is a build.
    Use Everest to get a report of your system’s hardware, OS, and drivers. Upload the report as an attachment
    Everest: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181
    When Everest is done scanning, click "Report" at the top of the Everest window, click next to get to "Report Profile", select "Hardware related pages", click next, select "Plain Text", click "Finish". Then when it is done processing, click "Save To File". Save it where you want to. (I would use Desktop.)
    Click "Go Advanced" in the MG reply box, scroll down a little way until you see "Manage Attachments", click it, browse to your file, click "Upload", and close the window. Then submit the post. You may have to also type something in the reply box, like, "Here's my report.", so that it will submit.

Check: Device Manager for bad drivers.
    For XP: Go to Start>Control Panel> System. On the Hardware tab, click Device Manager, then click the plus sign in front of Sound, Video, Game Controllers.
    For Vista: Go to Start>Control Panel>Device Manager
    In Device Manager, if there is a ? in front of your audio device, that means no audio driver is installed.
    A ! means driver installation attempted but with problems

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds