windows media player crashes after update

Discussion in 'Software' started by obugger, Mar 23, 2009.

1. obugger

obugger Private E-2

Long story so ill give a quick summary.
    My gfriends pc wouldnt connect to the net. the router was ok and the pc was detecting it and said connected 100mbps but int explorer couldnt connect to it. even the 192.16 etc. I tried everything scans etc but nothing so i restored windows ( XP home ed) to the day it was bought. after much pain i managed to get the internet back on but now Media player wont work. I updated everything i could think of (windows update etc) but when i updated to MP 11 I got an error message. I cant remember the exact message but it was something like DNIN50.exe failed?. I clicked ok to continue and it finished the installation but when its opened if you try and use it it freezes and cant be switched off. ive tried rolling it back and re-installing it but get errors every time.
    P.S I ran scans with MG tools, combofix etc, as advised on MG, as i suspected the original problem might be a virus. Cant remember the name of the first scanner but it found 11 problems (nothing i recognised as serious) Combofix wouldnt run, so i continued as advised. after i ran MGtools i was able to scan with Combofix (dont have the logs to hand, will add later if needed) I restarted the pc and re scanned it ( nothing found ) but Media player still wont work. Thanks for reading.:confused

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I see you have no threads in malware. You really need to post in the malware thread and be declared clean before the WMP problem is worked on.

3. obugger

obugger Private E-2

Thanks ive done that. PC is almost definitely infected or was. wont play media files on any player i install. also i tried 2 scans with comodo, it crashed twice, found 17 problems but i couldnt see the log or fix them.
    P.S the file not found in my original description wasn't DNIN50, It was DMC (or) R Migrate. happens when media player updates the library on Install

4. BlackPhoenix

BlackPhoenix Private First Class

ok, im not sure if im allowed to post here given the information from plodr - if not, i apoligise, but from reading your thread id hazard a guess that an .mp3 or something on your computer disquised as an .mp3 is whats causing the problem - if your saying that when you try to update media player its crashing whenever its trying to load files into the library, it looks like the cause - do you know if your gf has any 'dodgy' .mp3 songs?

5. obugger

obugger Private E-2

Not that im aware of, she uses 360 pro, a limewire based prog. with a subscription so i would hope the files were good. i dont recall any of the scans showing any media files as corrupt. ill try playing the files with various media players to see if they crash on the same files. thanks

6. obugger

obugger Private E-2

PS only media player crashes when loading the library, the other players load ok but crash either when i try to play or play for a while then crash

7. BlackPhoenix

maybe its a codec issue - i personally never use windows media player because i detest the program - i use other programs like winamp, i do know of some errors where windows media player can just 'bug out' and clog up, could you try installing a copy of winamp for me and seeing if it runs - if it doesn't then u will have a problem, unless u have tried it allready?

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

9. BlackPhoenix

ok mate, ill wait for him to report back in this thread after he cleans it and see if it still does not work

-only posting so ya both know ive read it.

10. obugger

obugger Private E-2

Ive followed the cleaning procedure. I dont believe it found anything but ill wait for someone who knows what theyre talking about to look lol. In a fit of frustration i did a complete clean install then windows and microsoft update. i deliberately didnt update any drivers then i updated Media Player. It Works ! Praise the Lord!. some of the music files i backed up wouldnt copy back to media player, said they were incomplete or corrupt. I didnt try Winamp just the ones below and an old one that came with the system, think its called Viewpoint. Just waiting to see what the diagnosis is on the logs and hopefully Its fixed permanently. A BIG! hand to all those who helped. WHAT A SITE!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds