Windows Media player doesn't play video

Discussion in 'Software' started by thedagem, Jun 30, 2007.

1. thedagem

thedagem Private First Class

Hey there. I'm having a bit of trouble with windows media player. This just started last night. My little brother has been using my computer for a few weeks now and he put his Ipod software on it and now it doesn't play movies. I can only sometimes get it to play audio. I have done a defrag. as well as a check disk and still I get no video. Sometimes windows media player doesn't even open when I click on the file. It plays audio, about half the time. I tried to do a system restore, but it doesn't let me restore. For some reason every day I click on I get a message after the restart that I can not restore to this day. I tried to reinstall windows media player, and that didn't solve my problem and neither did windows updates. I've done some spyware scans and have found a few tracking cookies but nothing major. It would be great if you could point me in the right direction.
    Thank you
    Thedagem

2. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

There's a couple things you can try here: If using WMP10, you can download and install WMP11 and that should fix everything. You can get Windows Media Player 11 from Microsoft or in the MultiMedia section here at MajorGeeks. OR- you can download and install a 3rd party media player. Personally I recommend MPlayer, GOMPlayer, or VLC Media Player; all are free in the Multimedia section. OR- you can download and install a codec package (again, the Multimedia section) for WMP; it's possible that the iPod software did something to mess up the codecs that were installed, so installing a new codec pack would work (and it can't hurt). Try the KLite Mega pack. OR- you can remove the iPod software; and use one of the options listed above.... good luck!!!

hd2k

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds