windows media player- find album info

Discussion in 'Software' started by Deputy Van Halen, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Deputy Van Halen

Deputy Van Halen Private E-2

I'm having a similar problem to this guy. I have WMP 11 in Vista. For the past few weeks I've been ripping my music collection to MP3. WMP has been automatically looking up the CD name and songs names and working just fine.

Then all of a sudden, I got an error message right in the middle of ripping one CD that said "Windows Media Player has stopped working...etc. etc. etc." (no, I didn't save the exact text or an error number or anything). When I reopened WMP, all of a sudden it was incapable of loading any information on CD's. Every new CD that I hadn't ripped before now shows "Unknown Album" and "Unknown Artist".

I get this message with every new CD: "Windows Media Player cannot download media information for this CD. The tracks, artist, and album will be identified as Unknown in your library. For best results, connect to the Internet or manually add media information for the CD."

This seems to indicate that WMP can't get to the internet for some reason (even though I'm signed on). Maybe the suggestion to the guy above is a good one...maybe the Firewall all of a sudden isn't letting WMP access the internet.

Now I'd love to follow your suggestion and check to see if the Firewall is preventing WMP from accessing the internet. But HOW do I do that? Can someone please baby step me through how to do that? I'm using Norton Security not Windows Firewall.

By the way, I did try the Windows Media Player Newsgroups online first. But I'm having problems THERE too. After setting up a user name and signing in, it won't let me post a new thread. I click on New>Question or New>General Comment and it goes and reloads the same page again and never gives me a screen to compose a message. So it's going in circles. And I can't find any place to send a private message to the board leader or anything to ask why it is doing that.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Moved your thread into its own as many that are tagged onto older threads are at times ignored so you may miss out on an answer, always best to start a new one.

To check your settings in Norton and I'm doing this from memory and without knowing which version you have installed.

Open up the Settings Panel of Norton and click the firewall one then if it gives you the option click Configure you shoud then see a tab called Programs click that and your in program control, just find WMP in the list and click on the internet access dropdown asociated with that entry adn choose Permit All > then click OK.

Also try this in WMP

Taken from this KB
    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Wi...c0e5-6a16-4faf-8476-e5f0ed8b728e1033.mspx#E4C

3. Deputy Van Halen

Thanks for your help, Tim. I found the list of programs in the Firewall settings. Both "Windows Media Player" and "wmplayer" had their access set to "Custom", and I switched them to "Allow". I also did what you suggested at the Library tab. But nothing changed. It's still "Unknown Album" and "Unknown Artist".

I wish I could find a way to post a message to Windows Media Player Newsgroup online, but as I said, that's not working...I click on "New Message" and it re-loads the same screen and never gives me a screen to compose a message. If no one has any further suggestion on dealing with my WMP problem, does anyone know who I can contact about my problem getting a message onto the Newsgroup forum? Obviously if the only way to get any help is to post a message then I'm out of luck.

4. Deputy Van Halen

Ok, before anyone responds, WMP has started working again. It is loading CD and song title information fine now. I guess Tim's suggestions must have worked (thanks so much, Tim!). Strangely, it is taking longer to load the info. Before, it would have the song titles up before it ripped even 20% of the first song. Now they don't come up until the second song is almost finished. But I'll take it!

I'd still like to know how to contact someone at the Windows Media Newsgroup about my problem there, in case something else goes wrong...

5. DavidGP

Hi

Glad its fixed, what did Tim suggest to fix this so that I know for future reference?

As for the Microsoft Newsgroups I know that they are migrating many to new servers and to the new layouts but didnt know that their was issues posting on the NGs until I tried myself and got the same issue as you in not being able to post a new question as the post box never came up. Maybe try in a day or so.

The issue of time to have the titles added to the tracks could be down to the MS servers under strain at present, maybe maintanence is being done this weekend?!

6. Deputy Van Halen

Sorry Halo, I was confused...since the e-mail that comes notifying me of a response is from "tim@majorgeeks" I thought that you were Tim. I know better now.

Thanks for all your helpful suggestions, Halo. You're the best!

7. DavidGP

AHHHHHH gotcha on the email notification, never thougth of that, Tim as in one of the owners email address is the main notification address.

Glad the suggestions helped and many thanks for the feedback as this feedback to an issue being fixed with the suggestion offered is invaluable to others if they search for same issue, so cheers Deputy Van Halen for this ( great group BTW ).

You could if the WMP general NG is not working at present make a post at the MSDN newsgroup on this for feedback http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=387&SiteID=1 your same Passport ID should log you in as in the general NGs, as many Microsoft developers reply in that NG, but still try the other newsgroup at a later date if you wish to feedback to them but we should also have no problems helping you here in future if needed.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I don't know what browser you are using but when a page keeps going in circles for me on FF, I allow javascript and reload the page. I have an addon noscript which I have blocking javascript. When I get to a site that I trust, I temporarily allow javascript and that fixes my problems.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds