Windows Media Player not installed properly / WMP won't play files ripped from CDs

Discussion in 'Software' started by mfarro07, Mar 30, 2012.

1. mfarro07

mfarro07 Private E-2

The last few days Windows Media Player has been having some errors when I go to play music files ripped from my CDs. When it goes to play, a red X icon shows up next the songs and the message "Windows Media Player is not installed properly. Reinstall the Player" shows up.

WMP still has no issues playing any MP3s though.

I have used Windows Fix-it (Windows Media Player related), which actually does fix the problem temporarily, although it has to re-add my entire library causing me to lose play counts on all my songs. However, the problem returns when I start-up my computer again, so it really isn't helping me at all.

I also went into the Windows Features section, and "uninstalled" WMP > restarted, and then "reinstalled" WMP, but this did not fix the problem at all.

I also tried a System Restore to several days ago and it did fix the problem after the restore was finished, but again after a restart the problem returned.

I even tried to make a new user account and see if the problem was on there as well and it was, so that didn't help either.

I've done a System File Checker and while it did find some corrupted file, it apparently didn't fix this issue. I've also run numerous other scans within Advanced Systemcare and other tools and none seem to fix this problem.

I just noticed this starting to occur a few days ago, and I can say that I never really mess with any settings within WMP that would somehow cause a change and create this problem. I honestly have no idea what is wrong and how I should go about fixing it if the above solutions haven't helped.

The only "system" change I might have done between the time it still worked and now the problem is I recently uninstalled AVG and installed avast, but I don't know if that would somehow cause this problem.

I am on Windows 7.

I have well over 200 CDs I've ripped to my computer and not being able to play them is a huge issue in this kinda situation.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Spartan

Spartan Private First Class

Re: Windows Media Player not installed properly / WMP won't play files ripped from CD

I have stopped using Windows Media Player since 5 years. Infact, the first thing I do when I install Windows is to uninstall Windows Media Player and Media Center.

I use Media Player Classic for all my movies and audio needs.

Here is the link to the official version: Media Player Classic v1.6.0.4104

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. mfarro07

mfarro07 Private E-2

Re: Windows Media Player not installed properly / WMP won't play files ripped from CD

I downloaded that and looked at it, but unless I'm missing it, there doesn't seem to be a way to have your entire library on there to look at and choose from on the fly.

That is correct.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Something is changing your preferences in WMP. The hard part will be trying to figure out what that program is. Look in Task Manager to see what is running. One of those programs might be the one reverting WMP to something other than what you want.
    For the moment, your best shot might be downloading the Fixit program and saving it to the desktop. Launch it every time WMP acts up.
    I wish there was a listing of the registry changes it makes so we'd have an idea of what is changed.

6. mfarro07

mfarro07 Private E-2

Still looking for a possible solution to this problem.

7. mfarro07

mfarro07 Private E-2

Update:
    While still trying to figure out what's causing the problem and finding a permanent solution, I figured what the problem itself actually is. Apparently all my CD files are missing Media Usage Rights and this is what's causing the error.

I have found multiple solutions that fix the problem, but everything is only temporary and return after a shutdown or restart. Just by using this one site related to DRM security upgrade it fixes the problem in that instance. But it doesn't stay that way.

So something is basically wiping the Media Usage Rights every time I turn on the computer again.

Now I'm looking for any kind of solution that can either prevent the media usage rights from being wiped or finding what might cause this to happen and removing it.

8. mfarro07

mfarro07 Private E-2

Someone replied to the thread with this post (although it isn't there for some reason...)

Recommended troubleshooting…
    1. Ensure that Windows Media Player is closed before proceeding.
    2. Click Start, click All Programs, and click Accessories.
    3. Right-click Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.
    4. Click Continue or provide Administrator credentials if prompted.
    5. In the Command Prompt type the following and press Enter:
    · UNREGMP2.EXE /UPDATEWMPVERSION

This seems to do nothing when I type it into the command prompt.

C:\Windows\system32\UNREGMP2.EXE /UPDATEWMPVERSION

Nothing happens.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds