Windows Media Player stopped playing DVDs (PowerDVD installed)

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tard, Oct 26, 2005.

1. Tard

Tard Private First Class

When I first built my PC, my optical drives came with Power DVD 5 and 6. So naturally I installed PowerDVD 6. 3 months later, I move and my puter needs a reinstall of XP. When I get everything installed, I go to install PowerDVD 6 and I can't find the friggin sleeve it came it with the product key on it. So I installed PowerDVD 5. That seemed to work just as good. Windows Media Player and Media Center didn't have any problems playing and DVDs I had. Then a few months after that, WMP and Media Center wouldn't play DVDs cuz "Windows Media Player could not play the DVD because a problem occured with the digital copywrite protection."
    DVDs still play perfectly with PowerDVD itself, but any other player I get an error that pretty much tells me that I don't have any codecs or software to play DVDs installed. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling PowerDVD 5, system restore to that time (would restore for some reason... reg. cleaners? Spybot?), and a repair of XP with the XP install disk.
    I have Windows Media Center Edition 2005 which I like to use to play DVDs sometimes, so this is pretty annoying. Anyone know why WMP wont pick up on PowerDVD being installed anymore?

2. Tard

Tard Private First Class

*bump*

I used the search bar and couldn't find any answers to this kind of situatuion. So can I at least get a few replies, please..? :eek:

3. Tard

Tard Private First Class

*Bump*

4. Tard

Tard Private First Class

*bump*

lol, I'm not gonna give up on this... :p

5. Tard

Tard Private First Class

*bump*

Goin for the world record for the most bumps without a response...

6. theefool

theefool Geekified

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

If, unless I'm reading this wrong (has happen to often lately), PowerDVD plays the "DVD's" properly, then why worry?

Am I missing something?

8. Tard

Tard Private First Class

My OS is XP Media Center Edition 2005 and I like to us the Media Center software to play DVDs sometimes. Also, I hate PowerDVDs interface and prefer Media Players features a lot more. If I have to play DVDs with PowerDVD itself and I have two other players on my puter that are a lot better, then that's just garbage. I don't know why WMP just randomly stopped playing DVDs because of the copywrite protection.

9. Tard

Tard Private First Class

*bump*

10. Tard

Tard Private First Class

*Bump* :p

11. Tard

Tard Private First Class

*bump*

12. Tard

Tard Private First Class

*bump* :(

13. Tard

Tard Private First Class

*bump*

14. Tard

Tard Private First Class

*bump* I seriously think this is a record, lol

15. Tard

Tard Private First Class

*bump*
    I found the key for PowerDVD 6 and uninstalled 5 and installed 6. Still no different, just thought I'd add that even though nobody's reading this post.

Thanks for all the input guys...

p.s.- I'm never going to stop bumping until I fix this. :mad:

16. Tard

Tard Private First Class

*bump*

17. Tard

Tard Private First Class

*bump*

18. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Hmmm...now that you have your PD6 key, have you tried a repair install of the OS, installing your media players and ensuring that they're the latest versions?

Heh, thought I had something better, but then I re-read the thread. Sorry fi this is of no use.

19. Tard

Tard Private First Class

Yeah, I did a repair with my OS disk with no results. I refuse to wipe out my HD and reload my OS just because of this small glitch.. which is the only problem with XP that I'm expiriencing at the moment, that I can think of right now. I also downloaded one of those k-lite codec packs.. would this somehow interfere with PDVDs codec install to WMP?

20. Tard

Tard Private First Class

*bump*

21. theefool

theefool Geekified

I don't have powerdvd installed, and I still can play dvd's.

One note #93 (or so). XP does not have NATIVE dvd decoding. So, one must have a dvd decoder to play dvd movies.

Now.....

Like I said, I do not have powerdvd, but I still can play dvds.

How?

I use: http://www.codecguide.com/features_mega.htm

But, that is what I use.....I hope it helps.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds