Windows Media Plugin

Discussion in 'Software' started by Alexbd88, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Alexbd88

Alexbd88 Private E-2

Hey everybody i need some major help!!!

Everytime i go to a website with a media player it tells me to shut down my interent browser (firefox) I dont know how to fix it!!!!

Please help!

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

What website?

3. Alexbd88

Alexbd88 Private E-2

any website that requires a media player plugin...i.e. myspace

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

5. Pettigrew

Pettigrew Private E-2

Hello,
    I seem to have the same problem as Alexbd88 had a few years ago (whoa!). I can't watch any videos on the web that require Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin. And not only in Firefox but also in Opera, Google Chrome and IE. When a video starts to load I get a message that the program stopped working and my browser closes. In Google Chrome I also get the following message: "The following plug-in has crushed: Microsoft Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin". I tried re-installing the plugin but it didn't help. I haven't used the thing for a while but it DID work before!
    I've read the guide theefool posted link to, but nothing there really seems to help. I thought number 9 might be the case (the VLC plugin colliding with WMA plugin) but it turned out I didn't have the VLC plugin installed... I've even uninstalled the whole VLC player and it didn't change a thing.

6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi,

Try letting this tool uninstall the plugin and then rerunning it and let it install. See if there is any change. [Don't use the repair option but choose uninstall]

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Pettigrew, welcome to MajorGeeks.
    Please do not tack on your problem to another thread, even if you think it is exactly the same. It is also not a good idea to dredge up a nearly 5 year old thread.

Start here: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21
    click the new thread button near the top left and post your problem. It is also a good idea to include the version of Windows you are running.

8. Pettigrew

Pettigrew Private E-2

Nope, no change at all.

Ok, thanks. I'll remember ; ) Should I make another thread now or just let it be?

9. Pettigrew

Pettigrew Private E-2

Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin problem

Hello,
    I can't watch any videos on the web that require Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin. And not only in Firefox but also in Opera, Google Chrome and IE. When a video starts to load I get a message that the program stopped working and my browser closes. In Google Chrome I also get the following message: "The following plug-in has crushed: Microsoft Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin". I tried re-installing the plugin but it didn't help. I haven't used the thing for a while but it DID work before!
    I've read the guide theefool posted link to, but nothing there really seems to help. I thought number 9 might be the case (the VLC plugin colliding with WMA plugin) but it turned out I didn't have the VLC plugin installed... I've even uninstalled the whole VLC player and it didn't change a thing.
    My operation system is Windows Vista.

Sadly, not a change.

10. Pettigrew

Pettigrew Private E-2

11. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

And I merged your thread back into this one. Please keep all your replies in this thread instead of creating a new thread for the same issue. :major

12. Pettigrew

Pettigrew Private E-2

Ok, I got a bit confused by what plodr said...
    Now that that's settled, can someone help me now?

13. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi Pettigrew,

Pick a website with a media file that doesn't work for you and post the URL/link so that we can test on the same site.

You listed IE in the list of browsers that have the problem...what error do you get when you use IE?

Also, after checking how IE responds to the site then uninstall the firefox plugin and revisit the site using IE and see if there is any difference.
    (IE shouldn't be using the FF plugin at all so if it is having a problem it may have to do with media player itself.)

Now, visit the site using Chrome and see what type of error you get.
    Since Chrome actually gives an error, I'd like to see what Chrome does without the FF plugin to crash.

14. Pettigrew

Pettigrew Private E-2

Basically I'm trying to get access to this: http://www.nrk.no/nett-tv/direkte/nrk1/ (I don't know if it works if you're outside Norway so I've found one that causes the same problem: http://www.shadownet.info/channels/uktv/bbc-news.html).

It's the same as in Firefox - the program IE stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution. And the browser gets closed.

After removing the plugin I get exactly the same error in IE (which is not the case with Firefox or GC)

Now I get this: An additional plug-in is required to display some elements on this page.
    And where the video should be: Windows Media Player Plugin plug-in is not installed. Click here to download the plug-in.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds