Windows optional update ROOT #KB931125

Discussion in 'Software' started by Drew_70, May 4, 2007.

1. Drew_70

Drew_70 Private E-2

Hi all....first time thread, long time reader. BTW, I like this site for computer tech programs and if updates are out. :) :cool

Question is: I just downloaded and installed these optional updates to my Windows XP HP Pavillion a1630n computer, KB931125 and KB914440. Root certs and network diagnostics from Microsoft, respectively. Once installed and re-boot, my Yahoo DSL modem activity light has been flashing non-stop for the last hour when I don't do anything confused . So I uninstalled network diagnostics and still activity light has been flashing non-stop. I tried to un-install Root but can't find it in "Add/Remove programs". Is this normal at first because now the activity light is flashing about once/second?

2. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

I am taking a guess here that the activity is caused by Root Certs building a trusted certificate file.

"Specific information sent or received: Update Root Certificates sends a request to the Windows Update Web site, asking for the current list of root certification authorities in the Microsoft Root Certificate Program. If the untrusted certificate is named in the list, Update Root Certificates obtains that certificate from Windows Update and places it in the trusted certificate store on the user’s computer."

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/intmgmt/03_xpcer.mspx

3. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

Sorry a lil tired last nite, so doing this backwards :)

Hi Drew and Welcome to MG's!

There are directions to remove the component in the link. If you still can't remove, post back and someone will answer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds