Windows restarting over and over

Discussion in 'Software' started by wassthetory, May 11, 2005.

1. wassthetory

wassthetory Private E-2

Windows keeps restarting over and over. Gets to the Windows loading screen then goes back to "no signal" and to a screen saying "sorry for the inconvenience, may have something to do with and update, blah, blah, blah". I can start in safe mode using network services. Have tried with the XP troubleshooter, but haven't been able to figure some of what they are wanting me to do either. Any ideas? I use Panda and AVG and SpywareBlaster. Help!!! Thanks!

Windows XP Home Edition 2002 SP2, AMD Anthlon XP200+, 1.67Ghz, 192Mb RAM,

2. capn_caveman

capn_caveman Sergeant

Could you reply with the exact error message that appears? The full error message is very important for us to troubleshoot.

3. Junior Jeeves

Junior Jeeves Private E-2

You can try the following:

Unplug all the external peripherals.
    Restart the system to the Windows XP Advanced Menu (Keep tapping the F8 key on the startup)
    Select the Last known Good Configuration

If this doesnt help then,
    Restart the system to the Windows XP Advanced Menu
    Select Safe Mode this time
    Do a System Restore. (Start >> All Programs >> Accessories >> System Tools >> System Restore)

4. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

If you can start in Safe Mode, right-click My Computer, Properties, then Advanced tab.

Under Startup and Recovery click Settings, then under System Failure uncheck "Automatically Restart".

That won't fix anything, but it may allow you to reach desktop or investigate the problem without XP restarting all the time.

5. wassthetory

wassthetory Private E-2

This is what is happening and the error message displayed:

Windows screen appears with the rolling bar at the bottom as normal, then it goes to "no signal" again and begins to restart again, however this times it goes to a black dos screen with full paragraphs saying basically:
    "Windows did not start successfully. A hardware or software change may have caused this.
    If cpmputer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly or was auto shutdown to protect files and folders, choose last know configuration and revert to most recent settings that worked.
    If previous startup was interrupted dut to power failure or power/reset button was pressed or unsure what caused it, chose restart normally.
    Safe Mode
    Safe mode with networking
    Safe mode with command prompt
    Last know good configuration
    Start Normally"

That is literally what the screen says. The "start normally" is highlighted and after 20secs it attempts to start normally unless I choose otherwise. I have tried last know config but no still does it. I ran my virus/spyware in safe mode and still does it.
    The only new thing I loaded lately was Openoffice.org 1.1.4, which is free, but that was at least a week ago and it has been fine.
    My friend, however, does play and Icewind Dale game from Black Isle and it has been freezing up alot on him.
    Wanted to ask here first before I got too involved in some troubleshooting which may really confuse me.
    Really hope you can help.

6. Junior Jeeves

Junior Jeeves Private E-2

Did you try the System Restore from Safe Mode?

7. wassthetory

wassthetory Private E-2

Yes, I've tried that in safe mode also.

8. theefool

theefool Geekified

So, you can get into safe mode just fine? With no problems? Then, here is the tedious path to take.

Run Msconfig, select the Selective Startup, uncheck all boxes. Reboot into windows. If you were to go back into msconfig, you will see that some of those boxes will have been rechecked. This is fine.

But, the question is. After doing this, can you boot into windows?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds