Windows Security update won't install

Discussion in 'Software' started by rdsw1965, Mar 15, 2006.

1. rdsw1965

rdsw1965 Private E-2

Hi,

I have been trying to install Windows security update KB908519 for about two months and it keeps failing. I deleted the data and downloaded it several times, but it still fails to install. Any ideas?

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus MajorGeek

Found a few things to try> Make backups before trying

1/ To Restore a Previously Declined Windows Update

Open System in Control Panel.
    On the Automatic Updates tab, click Restore Declined Updates.
    If any of the updates you previously declined still apply to your computer, they will appear the next time Windows notifies you of available updates.

2/ Windows Update - Error

If you cannot update XP check your c:\windows\windows update.log. If you have this error: Error 0x800C0008 then go to Tools\internet options\languages. You must have one language selected. Boom windows update works again!

Or for LAN settings

Go to control panel, open up Internet Options\Connections. Click on the Lan Settings button at the bottom right of the window. Untick Automatically detect settings.

3/ Double-click My Computer.

# On the Tools menu, press Folder Options.
    # Select the View tab.
    # Clear the Hide protected operating system flies (Recommended) box.
    # Check the Show Hidden files and folders box.
    # Press Apply and OK.
    # Expand the C: drive.
    # Expand the WUTemp folder.
    # Press CTRL+A to select all the files and sub-folders in WUTemp.
    # Press the Delete key and Yes when prompted to confirm the deletion.
    # Expand the C: drive.
    # Expand Program Files.
    # Right-click the WindowsUpdate folder and Rename it OldWindowsUpdate.
    # Restart your computer and delete the OldWindowsUpdate folder.
    # Use Internet Explorer to visit http://www.windowsupdate.com.

It also is a good idea to delete you cookies and Temp files first. Only use this method if you have problems with Windows Update and do so at your own risk.

3. crazylegs

crazylegs Private E-2

I had the same problem. Look carefully on the page that tells you it failed to install. They'll give you a link. Follow it and with just a little bit of searching you should find the solution. Basically, it involves downloading it and saving it, then running it. I downloaded mine to my desktop and then loaded it with no problem. I had to go back to the Windows update page and have MS scan my PC for updates in order to kill the little yellow shield in my sys tray.
    crazylegs

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Which version of windows are you using? hopefully its one this update applies to.

If your downloading it via Windows/Microsoft Update and its not installing then many times sucess is going the route crazylegs posted above and downloading the actual update rather than using WU/MU.

Before installing delete your Temp Internet Files and download and run this http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...AF-3723-4CDF-B5BD-B21AC75B5243&displaylang=en

then you can double check with windows update to see if you have no updates left to install.

5. crazylegs

crazylegs Private E-2

My bad, just a rehash of what Halo posted. Sorry Halo.
    crazylegs

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

No sorrys needed crazylegs.. my post just expanded on yours a bit, as I have come across WU not fully installing some updates and method that seems to work is what you posted... BTW Welcome to Majorgeeks :)

7. rdsw1965

rdsw1965 Private E-2

Thank you for your help, going to the download center, saving the file and installing worked!!! Thanks again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds